Benefits of Being Bilingual

Abby Cunningham, Reporter

Many students say they wish they did not have to take a language because it is time consuming and they do not see the importance of taking it.

Language classes provide more work to an already growing homework list and kids are not understanding the valuable takeaways from them. Therefore, with more and more students dreading going to their language class, it is important to recognize the significance of being bilingual.

However, there are numerous scientific reasons supporting the importance of learning a second language, such as it can improve your first language, cognitive skills, your memory, and expand your ability to connect with more people. With Chinese and Spanish as the two leading languages in the world, it is evident that a person would greatly benefit from learning another language besides English. In addition to this, numerous studies have shown that over 50% of the world is bilingual, and it may be that monolingual people are the minority.

Spanish teacher Mrs. Marchese believes that, “it’s important to extend yourself beyond your own culture.”

Latin teacher Ms. Frasier builds on Mrs. Marchese’s idea: “[Knowing a second language] enables you to see the world from new perspectives.”

Having another language can alter and improve thinking skills by making connections to your native language. Furthermore, learning another language and culture diminishes stereotypes. 

Besides the cultural benefits of being bilingual, it also benefits you in the sense of staying in touch with others and your future.

French teacher Mrs. Patel-Lye explained: “Our global society is interconnected.”

It is almost vital that people be bilingual in order to communicate with other countries.

She added that, “Having a second language increases your employment potential.”

Depending on where people live, there can be multiple languages being spoken. When applying for a job, a bilingual candidate will have a greater chance of getting that job.

Being bilingual was thought to have no beneficial aspects to it, and many thought it would just confuse the youth. However, with extensive research, scientists were able to prove that there are in fact, endless benefits to learning another language.