National Great Poetry Reading Day

Katie Welch, Reporter

Every year, April is recognized as National Poetry Month. It has flourished into the largest literary celebration worldwide that is observed in schools and libraries across the globe to appreciate the importance of poetry. In fact, National Great Poetry Reading Day is observed on April 28th, celebrating poems and their writers. In honor of National Great Poetry Reading Day and National Poetry Month as a whole, students and staff at explained the importance of poetry.

Mr. Collins, an English teacher, commented on the significance of poetry in our lives. Collins claimed that his favorite aspects of poetry are the ability to capture emotion in the piece. Collins added that he also loves metrical aspects of poetry within the body of the poem. Collins went on to explain a personal experience that rooted his love for poetry. As a fifth grader, he recited “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost to his teacher, which had a lasting impact on him.

Sophomore Elise Sperry has tips for students who wish to recite poetry as she is great at public speaking and reciting poems from memory. Sperry explains that her method is to break the poem into smaller parts. Then, memorize each separate piece of the poem until you have each one fully memorized. Finally, if put all of your knowledge together to recite the poem in its entirety. She conveyed that it was a lot less overwhelming, and is a great memorization strategy.

Milan Patel, a sophomore, is known by his peers for writing impressive poetry. Patel describes that his inspirations for each piece come from things as simple as colors, emotions, and his surroundings.

When asked his favorite thing about writing poetry, Patel replied, “My favorite thing about writing poetry, and really, what inspired me to begin writing poetry is that they are shorter than other types of writing but can still get the point across. Poetry allows you to say a lot in just a few words.”