Garden Project Is Growing On The Community

Ms. Mullins works on courtyard garden beds with seniors Jeannette Mooney and Tianna Ficarra.

Lauren O'Neill, Reporter

It began with the courtyard in the old building.

Ms. Mullins, who began working here in 2006, noticed that the courtyard, which had be previously landscaped by the Garden Club under another teacher, had become neglected and full of weeds. Ms. Mullins gathered volunteers and recreated the Garden Club in 2006, which had not been meeting for several years. This was the beginning of the garden project. 

Seniors Marc Connelly, Saverio Orlando, Alejandro Bueno, Jeannette Mooney, and Tianna Ficarra work on garden beds.

The project has evolved from there, encompassing many projects across the campus, both old and new. One of the projects they are currently working on is what they call the Tulip Island. Along the driveway of the second floor parking lot, there is an island in which the Garden Club has planted red tulips. Ms. Mullins hopes that they will be able to add some dragons blood as well. Some of their other current projects include the courtyard outside of the Francis X. Sweeney Field House and outside of the library.

Other teachers are also starting to get involved. Ms. Herr and Mrs. Castleberry are getting their students involved in the project in Environmental Science class. Mrs. Montanaro and the Garden Club are planning an herb garden for the culinary classes to use. Mrs. Crump and some of her students also weed some of the beds.

The project is ongoing, and will likely never be finished. The club works on one project, then goes back and does maintenance on some of the previous projects, including things such as mulching and weeding. Waterford Parks and Recreation often provides the mulch used in the beds, but the Garden Club provides the labor. 

So far, the feedback has been positive. Ms. Mullins has received positive comments from students and staff, as well as being honored on June 25 by the Board of Education and receiving a gift certificate  at a faculty meeting.

Ms. Mullins has been gardening ever since she was a child. Her father and grandmother liked to garden, and she remembers “always playing in the dirt.”

Ms. Mullins worked at a school in Maryland for 11 years, where she and another teacher started a garden club. Her favorite things about the gardening project are that she was able to make the courtyard beautiful again, and when they moved to the new building they had a clean slate. The club was able to save many of the plants from the old courtyard and utilize them in the beds around the new building, including some of the daffodils. Some of the most challenging things about this project are dealing with the Connecticut weather and finding enough volunteers to participate and maintain the projects.

The Garden Club meets for Activity Mondays on A Days during advisory, as well as after school, starting in Room 214 from 2-4 pm, then moving outside. Participating in the club is a great way to earn LTS hours and beautify the campus, making it a welcoming environment for everyone.