Dealing With Stress Effectively

Kate Porter, Reporter

With midterms and the rush to cram everything in before the next semester happening all at once, stress and anxiety levels are off of the charts this time of year.Some students may be stressing to finish writing that four-page research essay due in a few days and some students may be just starting to study, regretting their decision to procrastinate and push aside all work until they absolutely had to complete it.

Truth be told, the buildup of stress at the end of the semester can actually make it more difficult to focus on work and studying. Before thinking up with the worst case scenario, like failing all of your tests and your average dropping a few letter grades or not completing your essay on time, sit down, relax, take a deep breath, and plan out a way to get through all of the mess with as little stress as possible.

Here are a few ways to distract yourself from the stress, but not the work:

Talk it out. Try to avoid keeping all of your stress and anxiety bottled up. Have a chat with your parents or your guidance counselor. Tell them about what is stressing you out and if they have any advice for you. Letting out your emotions often takes away their stress-inducing power.

Take a break. Don’t let yourself get too overwhelmed by the work in front of you. Try and study for 30 minutes then take a 15 minute break. It always helps to take time and let the mind soak in what was just studied and chill out a bit.

Listen to music. Listening to some of your favorite songs and albums can actually, both mentally and physically, help you calm down.

Adjust your standards. Avoid setting yourself up for failure by demanding perfection. set reasonable standards for yourself and remember, all you can do is your best.

Learn to forgive. Accept the fact that nobody is perfect and that everyone makes mistakes. Learn to forgive yourself and move on.

Although it may seem like the stress will eat you alive, it is important to remember that it is manageable if  properly attacked. Try different strategies and find what is best for you. Keeping yourself at minimum stress levels will make for a happier, more successful you.