Model UN – An Early Political Experience for Students

Model UN - An Early Political Experience for Students

Olivia Billis, Reporter

This article is part of an on-going series this year on highlighting the different clubs here at school.

At Model United Nations, students get the opportunity to experience a debate club formatted like the real United Nations, which is located in New York City. At club meetings, participants learn public speaking, formal debate, and important current events. Members frequently discuss global issues and solutions.

At the initial meeting, members are assigned countries relevant to the chosen topic, and then have to research how their assigned country views and is affected by the topic.

A few weeks later, students represent their chosen country in a forum like one the UN would hold. The floor is then open to vote on writing agreements with other countries or to debate based on the views of their countries. Clauses, or solutions to global issues with other countries, are carefully written and then presented to the rest of the group, who will then vote on clauses they agree should be enforced.

Officers Sophie Impellitteri, Lyman Nuttall, and Isabel Umland, all seniors,  agree that Model UN teaches students to become more comfortable with public speaking, and allows them to be confident in expressing their opinions. They are exposed to the news, become more globally aware, and learn to problem-solve through compromise.

Mr. Cheney, the adviser of the club, said, “Many Model UN students have gone from freshmen terrified of presenting in front of peers to being very comfortable with it by the time they’re upperclassmen.”

Colleges and employers value people who can research, speak well, work collaboratively, negotiate, and compromise” Mr. Cheney added. 

If you would like to join the club, please contact Mr. Cheney at: [email protected]