Lindblom Takes Third Consecutive ECC and State Titles in Wrestling

Ryan Jones, Reporter

After losing in both the Eastern Connecticut Conference and state tournaments his freshmen year, senior Sam Lindblom vowed to never lose in postseason wrestling again; and he stayed true to his word through the end.

Lindblom won his third consecutive ECC title against East Lyme’s Mason Pagan and Class M state title against Guilford’s Drew Tischer. Lindblom went up two whole weight classes to 152 pounds from last season, which proved to be a “big adjustment” for him, with both positives and negatives.

When talking  about this change, Lindblom explained that with his switch in weight class, he “didn’t have to cut a lot of weight which was nice, but at the same time the kids I wrestled seemed bigger.”SAM 2

However, Lindblom did not let his larger opponents get to him, and he had a determined mindset going into this year. Lindblom set “high goals” for himself with a heavy off-season regiment on his plate. The basics of his plans included “off season wrestling, running, and lifting as much as possible.”

Many believed going into the postseason that Lindblom deserved all of the accolades he was getting, and truly believed Lindblom“deserved to win this year.”

Lindblom was heavily recruited for wrestling into college. Yet, he has stayed incredibly humble throughout the season, showing someone not only strong on the mat, but strong in the real world as well.

Lindblom recently committed to attending Rhode Island College, where he plans on majoring in criminal justice.