Hammock Camping

Cassidy Susi, Reporter

A new way of adventuring in the wild has emerged the past few years- hammocking. The new craze also referred to as “hammock camping” has become popular the past few months with the invention of a hammock that can easily be attached and reattached to trees, a convenient idea that adventurers have taken advantage of across the world.

These hammocks are less than $100 each and are not the basic weaved material. They are flexible and have adjustable straps on each end to accommodate the size of any tree. Campers or hikers like how the thin, breathable material helps their bodies cool down while simultaneously being protected from the sun. In certain conditions, the hammocks can also protect users from mosquitos and other insects. Recently developed in Latin America, the origin of the idea is still unknown.

For some, hammocking is a lifestyle. Groups of adventure seekers hammock in the highest mountains or ever across cliffs. Whether users want to just chill out in the comfort of these portable hammocks, or take them across the world to lay in risky places, the new popular invention is an affordable way to experience all forms of nature in every season.

Corey Susi, 20, an experienced hammocker, loves the activity because “It’s relaxing and you feel like you’re floating.” Susi has gone to various places to hike and hammock in the past year, including the highest point in Quaker Hill, Devil’s Hopyard, and parts of Colorado. 

Junior Hannah Eschenfelder related to Susi when she stated that “It is really relaxing and doesn’t cost any money after you buy the hammock.”

The fact that the invention is cheap and can be used anywhere makes it an activity people can do every day for free. This is a major reason for the success of the affordable detachable hammock; people enjoy how getting out and experiencing new things has never been so easy,

Junior Jessica Cleary added that “It’s easy to get up and go do something when you’re bored and it’s nice out.”

Cleary was introduced to hammocking through her older brother, Cody, who frequently goes hiking and hammocking in Waterford almost every day. Cleary also likes how the activity can bring people together, like her and her brother, stating, “It’s a cool way to just chill out with people without going on your phone and texting and stuff.”

Providing an electronically-based generation with an interesting way to get out and explore the real world is one of the many benefits of the new invention.

Hammock camping has evolved into a unique experience that is witnessed worldwide. Whether it is the main activity of a hiking trip or just a way to sleep at night while camping, it is considered a relaxing interest by all its users.Thankfully, the hobby is cheap, and a decent hammock lasts forever. Overall, detachable hammocking is becoming popular over the years because it is easy and has a variety of benefits for all kinds of activities.