WATERFORDrama’s The Crucible opens this week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sierra Campbell, Reporter

WATERFORDrama’s winter performance of American playwright Arthur Miller’s The Crucible opens this week, with performances on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The tickets are $12 for adults and $7 for students if you buy them in advance. At the door the nights of the performance, tickets are $15/$12.

The play takes place in 1692 Salem, Massachusetts where a small group of girls go dancing in the woods while pretending to cast spells. Then, strange things start happening in the town of Salem.

Senior Matt McKinzie, who will be playing Rev. John Hale, is ecstatic to be involved in such an intense and powerful play. When asked what was the most challenging part while preparing for the play, McKinzie said, “Different stage format. It is sort of like a black box. There is seating [for the audience] on all different sides of the stage. But I enjoy that part because it is new, although it has been a challenge.”

McKinzie was also asked what was easiest while rehearsing for the play: “Relating to the character because he always has good intentions and he is always striving for the truth.”

Freshman Emily Leitkowski plays Betty Paris, one of the girls dancing and casting spells in the woods. Emily is most excited to “freak the audience out including [her] sister.”

Leitkowskii is authorized to act as if she were possessed or bewitched during the play. She is excited to perform for her first time and will continue to participate in WATERFORDrama.

Five staff members are also performing with the student cast: Mr. Cadorette, Mr. Cheney, Mrs. Sturm, Mrs. Batty, and WATERFORDrama director Shane Valle.

The Crucible is an intense play that will have the audience out of their seats wanting more. Check it out this Thursday, Friday or Saturday.