WATERFORDrama’s “Steel Magnolias” is Set to Open this Week

Juniors Lily Watson (Left) and Nina Pezzello (Right) rehearsing for their upcoming performances at the end of next week.

Phi Kasem-Beg

Waterford High School’s theater program is set to perform Steel Magnolias next week from October 25th through the 27th. This year has marked the 31 years since the publishing of the play by playwright Robert Harling. The play covers events over three years with the character Shelby’s difficult decision to have a child, despite her Type 1 diabetes; Clairee’s friendship with Ouiser; Annelle’s transformation from an anxious newcomer to a revival-tent Christian; and Truvy’s relationships with the men in her family. The name “Steel Magnolias” stems from all of the women being depicted as delicate as magnolias, yet tough as steel.

WATERFORDrama’s production features an all female cast of six Waterford students. Junior Nina Pezzello recounted, “I never in a million years would think I would make such amazing friends within two months. We are truly a very close group, and we’ve gone through pretty much everything together at this point. These girls with me are inspiring, kind, hardworking, and push me to be the best version of myself with in each rehearsal.” WATERFORDrama has previously put on two productions with an all female cast: 12 Angry Jurors and I Am.

Cast member Lily Watson as her character Shelby during a late night rehearsal.

Throughout every production process, each WATERFORDrama student spends about two months perfecting the portrayal of their character. Pezzello, when asked what she enjoyed most about playing her role, M’Lynn Eatenton, said, “She has very intense moments, but in a sense it’s a character that holds the group together. I feel my character keeps everything intact at all times, so when she has her breaking moment it shows she is a human too. At first, I had a hard time figuring out how I wanted to take on the role of M’Lynn,” Pezzello stated, “that was a challenge that I worked extremely hard on throughout the process, and ultimately was the most difficult.” Fellow castmate and junior Lily Watson discussed her struggles in creating Shelby Eatenton Latcherie, “[Shelby] has dreams and concerns just like everyone else. I almost lose myself in her during intense moments because she is just such a powerful person. I love that I can connect with Shelby and bring her to life the way Robert Harling would want her to be, but also get to add a touch of myself.”

Steel Magnolias is set to open October 25th, 26th, and the 27th at 7PM in the Waterford High School auditorium. Tickets for students are $7 in advance and $10 at the door, and adult tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets can be bought during school hours in the Waterford High School main lobby and can be reserved by calling 860-437-6956 x. 7407 at any time. “I am excited to share Steel Magnolias with others. It is such an in-depth story coated with moments that make you laugh and parts that make you cry,” Watson said, “It is an honor to have the opportunity to portray such a powerful character and work with wonderful cast-mates.”

About the Writer
Phi Kasem-Beg, Staff

Phi Kasem-Beg is a senior participating in her first year of journalism. She enjoys taking long walks on the beach, kombucha and chill, and criticizing...