The Lancelot

Cavetown’s Lemon Boy Provides the Soundtrack to Our Lives

Back to Article
Back to Article

"Lemon Boy" album cover

"Lemon Boy" album cover

"Lemon Boy" album cover

Phi Kasem-Beg

Imagine the soundtrack of a new coming-of-age film where the protagonist falls in love with a flawed teenage girl before they go off to college. The album Lemon Boy by Indie Pop solo artists Cavetown is that stereotypical film’s soundtrack.

Lemon Boy, Cavetown’s debut album, was released in July of 2018 by Cambridge-based singer Robin Skinner. Skinner had previously written and produced other singles since 2013 and has continued this trend with his most recent album, and he provides audiences with quirky chords that stand out against many Indie Pop artists of this generation. Skinner’s singles have always gained popularity among music lovers, and audiences were excited to see whether or not he would create a full length album that is fluent with his style. Each song tells a different story, whether it be through their unique lyrics or chord progression. There are several stand out songs on this album, such as “Lemon Boy,” “Poison,” “I’ll Make Cereal,” and “Fool.”

Robin Skinner

The album opens with the title song “Lemon Boy,” which explores how Skinner slowly makes friends with a lemon boy that had been growing in his garden, which represents his own struggle with accepting and coping with his anxiety. The chorus starts with: “So Lemon Boy and me, we just gotta get along together, I’ll help him plant his seeds and we’ll mow the lawn in bad weather, It’s actually pretty easy being nice to a bitter boy like him, So, I got myself a citrus friend.” The song opens with gentle guitar strumming paired with Skinner’s calming voice, and later goes on to introduce several harmonies that give the song a sweet and upbeat tune. Cavetown’s use of unique chords and backtracks become apparent in this song as he distorts the sound of guitar to create a swaying effect.

Anxiety is a recurrent component of Cavetown’s lyrics in many of his songs. “I’ll Make Cereal,” is a gentle ballad that delves deeper into his struggles with anxiety and overthinking every aspect of his life. This song relies heavily on a ukulele backtrack which provides audiences with a mellow vibe which is seen throughout in a lot of his music. The song “Poison” also explores themes of anxiety by focusing in on irrational thoughts that race through one’s mind.

Unrequited love and loss is another recurrent theme within Cavetown’s lyrics with songs such as “Fool” and “Green” that offer an intimate perspective into his emotions. “Fool” explores young love and the betrayal that is felt when one’s feelings aren’t reciprocated. This gentle song once again relies on ukulele and harmonic background vocals to give the song an innocent sound. “Green,” on the other hand, describes the emotions one experiences when their past love has moved on after not being treated equally in a relationship. According to Skinner’s Bandcamp song description of, “Green,” he stated that the song is “about a girl I love a lot, who’s probably the most flawless person I can think of. I’ve been selfish in the past and didn’t treat her properly because I was new to loving people like that and I didn’t know what I was doing.”

Overall, Robin Skinner’s 2018 album Lemon Boy has become a cult classic with Indie Pop listeners as it provides audiences with a fresher take on the genre. Skinner provides his audience with a fluent style that manages to deviate from the norm, which makes this album a major success. Lemon Boy has collected millions of streams on all music streaming platforms, and will continue to charm many with time to come.

About the Writer
Phi Kasem-Beg, Reporter

Phi Kasem-Beg is a senior participating in her first year of journalism. She enjoys taking long walks on the beach, kombucha and chill, and criticizing...