Celebrate Veterans Day

Rachel Dondero and Carlos Rivera

Chelsey Barker, Reporter

Most public schools have this Friday, November 11, off from school, because it is Veterans Day. Some students will sleep in and not think anything about it, but it is a special day to honor those who served in the military and gave their lives for it.

According to Military.com, Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day in honor of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War 1. It was changed to Veterans Day in 1954 to honor those that served in every war.

Despite celebrating holidays commemorating those in the military annually, many do not know the differences between Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Armed Services Day. Valerie Strauss from The Huffington Post explains that Memorial Day, the last Monday in May, is a day to honor those who have died in wartime. For example, someone that has died in battle or from wounds resulted from the battle.

Strauss also wrote that Veterans Day honor all people who have served in the military, not those who are currently serving. Military.com again explains Armed Forces Day, usually the third Saturday in May, unified the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and the Coast Guard. into Armed Forces under the Department of Defense. Armed Forces day celebrates those who are still serving currently.

Mr. Dobo, math teacher, along with Officer Whitehead, are both verteran. When talking about the different holidays, Mr. Dobo stressed the importance to not thank a Veteran on Memorial Day for a couple different reasons. Survivor’s guilt is one of the big reasons to not thank a Veteran on Memorial Day.

“It’s a time for honoring the fallen,” he said, “thank them on Veterans day, a day made for the living.”

Mr. Dobo also recalled his time in the service. He started out as a missile technician and eventually transferred into infantry. When asked how his time in the Army was he responded, “it was a job. I really wanted to join the Army all of my life, and I did. Even though my family didn’t like it that much, I still did what I wanted to do.”

He loves being a math teacher today. Surprisingly, he did not know Armed Forces Day was a holiday while he was serving.

“We did not celebrate Veterans Day while I was in there,” he said, “but Memorial Day was huge.” While talking to Mr. Dobo, students even stopped him in the hallway to thank him and wish him a happy Veterans Day. Thank you for your service, Mr. Dobo, in being in the military and teaching students high school math. We appreciate it, and you.

Do not forget to thank a Veteran this Veterans Day because they have sacrificed so much for our country. Thank you to everyone that has served in our military in keeping everyone safe.