Preparing for the SAT

Collin Carofano, Reporter

The SAT will most likely be an important part of getting into college. The SAT at Waterford High School is Saturday, November 4. That is going to come up sooner than it seems. Preparing for the SAT is a hard thing to do, but if prepared the right way, you could get a great score on the SAT.

Khan Academy is a great place to start preparing for the SAT. They have four sections: A Full-Length SAT, SAT Math Practice, SAT Reading and Writing Practice, and SAT Tips and Strategies. This website is a huge help in preparing for the SAT. There is even a way to personalize the practical methods to strengthen the parts that you struggled most on the SAT. It will focus on certain parts of the test and give related questions to those that were missed on previous SATs/PSATs.

Senior Nick Porazzi offered some good advice for students taking the SAT: “I got a tutor and bought an SAT prep book. It helped me out a lot and my scores raised.”

Porazzi also said, “I get a good night sleep and have a good breakfast to have energy for the test.” It is key to do this because being tired and out of the loop during the test will cause for bad test taking and it will be harder to focus.

Porazzi said he has learned to “space his time correctly, do not spend too much time on one question, and get the easy questions out of the way first.” These strategies really helped Nick out on his SATs and he improved his test scores every time he took them.

Do not worry if you believe you did not do well on your first SAT. There are many other opportunities to take it and you can use the study strategies to help with your score. Some SATs are in the summer, and you can also take it again as a senior, so do not stress too much about the SAT.