Oh The Places You Will Go!

While most seniors are staying in the Northeast post-graduation, some are traveling away to begin their journey outside of Lancer Nation.

Paige Miller and Olivia Pitasi, Reporters

Graduation is coming and decisions are being made. Options are offered all over the place, whether it is going to a trade school, a university, a gap year, or more. This year, only 5% of the senior class is attending a college outside of New England and 3% of seniors are going into the military or armed forces.

Of the 5% leaving New England is Carolyn Keatley. Keatley will be attending The University of Miami and will be majoring in neuroscience. She chose this school because she received a scholarship, its beautiful location, and it is one of the best schools in the country for her major. Some of her biggest fears include not being successful and having to change her major or school.

When asked if she always wanted to leave the Northeast for school, she replied, “No, because for a while I thought that I was going to go to school within a few hours from home, but my mom thought that I should apply to the school just because she likes Florida and would like to visit.”

Keatley is most excited about meeting new friends, learning about life in different communities, and starting to be more focused on her future.

Alumnus from the Class of 2017 Maxwell Peabody currently attends Arizona State University and is majoring in mechanical engineering. He chose Arizona State because he really enjoys Arizona and it has a great engineering program. When asked what his biggest were about going so far from home, he replied, “Keeping my grades up.”

Peabody does not regret going away for school because he loves being independent and starting over; however, he does miss home at times. When asked if he would recommend for others to go away for school he said, “Absolutely, you get to learn from your mistakes without your parents yelling at you.”

two seniors f the 3% going into military branches or armed forces are Jacob Roy and Desjardin Lima. Roy will be going into the Air National Guard and he will be stationed in San Antonio, Texas after graduation. Roy wants to go into the National Guard because it will pay for his college after he serves. Once he completes his time in the National Guard,  he will be attending Avery Point. 

Roy said, “I’m going to be a crew chief, which means I’ll oversee the planes before they take off.” Roy is nervous to go away so far and be in such a different environment than what he is used to.

Lima will be serving for the army next year. He wants to serve in the Army “because it is my duty to serve my country and community.”

Lima will be stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia. While stationed here he will be an intelligence analyst, which means he will look at information on enemy forces. He is most nervous about being away from his family for so long. Lima will attend college through G.I. Bill, and after six years of serving, he wants to be a paramedic.

Wherever you are going, whatever you are doing, on behalf of The Lancelot staff,  we wish you all the luck.