Could Waterford High School Favor Boys Over Girls Sports?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alli Silva, Reporter

After the 2017 Women’s World Cup, many controversies arose over the number of people at the women’s games compared to the men’s’ games. Maggie Mertens, professional soccer player, is frustrated that female players do not get much attention from the mainstream media. Local school sports have also reported similar findings.

Students at Waterford High School agree that their school gravitates towards boys teams. Haley Trehern, a student at WHS says, “ In lacrosse, the guys always get more field time and it’s not fair.” Many students agree with this statement, but Chris Landry, the athletic director at Waterford High School, does not agree with these comments. Landry does not make the final decisions on field time, but he “tries to make each field time as equal as possible.” The complaints from students over limited field time, however, still occurs. Though some students still believe the boys’ team (lacrosse especially), receives more field time than the girls’ team, no one disputes that the boys’ sports games at Waterford High school receive a larger crowd than girls’ sports games.

Smaller crowds attend girls’ games than boys’ games.  Norbu Ciren, a student at WHS claims, “not as many people show up to the girls games.” For example, a girls’ home game sold 23 tickets, while a boys’ home game sold 62 tickets. Landry agrees with the popularity of boys’ games compared to the girl’s games. Landry believes it is “…accurate in terms of more students going to boys’ games.” He agrees the situation is an issue, but he does not believe that it is happening as often as students report.

Along with other administrators, Landry does not believe the students are sexist because they do not go to as many girls games, but he agrees with more students attending boys sporting events. “I think it is an issue and I would like to hope this progresses and equals out in the future,” Landry says. School are said not to be sexist, but the popularity each receive at their games could say otherwise.