The Lancelot

A Guiding Light for Struggling Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Guiding Light for Struggling Students

Alexandra Silva

Finding the right career or major can be extremely difficult for young students going into the working field and/or college. Around two in three recent high school graduates enrolled in college attended four-year colleges in 2016. Having a part time job during college can lead to taking less than four-year colleges. In a recent study, New York Times has found that the percent of students attending colleges are dropping due to difficult courses or failing to fall into their desired work force.

Teachers, counselors, and administrators at Waterford High School want to help students feel more comfortable with their career of choice. In addition, many teachers at WHS want to help direct students aspiring  Writing is essential for almost every career, and numerous students struggle to write well; however, earning a degree in Writing is much more different than writing a three-page essay. Mr Collins, English teacher at Waterford High School, states, “Getting an English degree is not necessary when you’re aspiring to write a book or write a poem, but it does help open up other career opportunities.” Any student who is interested in a career involving writing is encouraged to join electives involving that specific area of practice.

In addition, if college is not a possibility for a student, there are numerous other options for careers as well. Not knowing what to major in for college is perfectly acceptable as well. Mrs. Chen, school counselor in Waterford High School explains, “I do not believe college is essential, but it can most definitely be beneficial depending on what career you want to get into.” An English degree is extremely beneficial to working in an environment where writing is essential. For anyone aspiring to get a career in writing, Mr Cheney’s advice would be to “read constantly, especially with English, there is a lot of reading and interpreting necessary.” Although college may not be the priority for a student interested in writing, it aids to anyone aspiring to use it in the future.

Mr Collins, English teacher at Waterford High School, states, “Getting an English degree is not necessary when you’re aspiring to write a book or write a poem, but it does help open up other career opportunities.” Any student who is interested in a career involving writing is motivated to join other electives involving the area of practice. Additionally, students at WHS are interested in suggesting input on what they would find helpful in writing. Jessica Chin, student at Waterford suggests, “an introductory course to writing essays,” would be a helpful half course curriculum for anyone struggling with writing. Abigail Saucier, sophomore, advises, “A bigger focus on grammar and different subjects of writing could be helpful.”

Electives including Journalism, Model UN, and Student Council provides writing opportunities for students striving for an English career. “Taking Journalism has actually impressed my interviewer from Harvard,” states Milan Patel, senior at Waterford. Electives including writing and communications are extremely helpful for anyone getting into a writing career.

Teachers and counselors at WHS make it a priority for their students to become comfortable with their future career opportunities. Although searching for a career in writing is difficult, students are always welcome to ask any staff at Waterford for guidance.

About the Writer
Alexandra Silva, Reporter

Alexandra Silva has been interested in journalism since freshman year when the school yearbook caught her attention. She has grown up in Waterford, CT...