Lancer Nation Fall Sports Round-up – September, 2015 Edition

Ryan Jones, Reporter

FOOTBALL

After high hopes for this season under new head  coach John Strecker, the Lancers are going into October with a record of 0-3.

The team has not thrown in the towel yet, and captain Jake Mangual said they are “going to keep working hard as usual, and make results from it.”

The Lancers are looking to put the past few weeks in the past and start new again at home against Stonington, and of course, to be Turkey Day champs in the annual Thanksgiving game at East Lyme.

VOLLEYBALL

The girl’s volleyball team continues to have a great program, with a current record of 8-3, only looking to improve as the season continues, finishing out their regular season on October 30th at home against East Lyme’s Vikings.

Like last season, there are high hopes that these girls will make a deep run into the playoffs, and they most certainly have the talent to do just that.

GIRLS’ SOCCER

Girls’ soccer, like last year, is absolutely tearing the turf up against their opponents. With a 8-1-1 record thus far, the team has no plans on slowing down this season, already having 7 shutouts this season.

GIRLS’ SWIM TEAM

The girls’ swim team, which lost some major contributors with the graduation of  Katherine Tsiouris and Asia Langley, have a record of 3-5 this season. Sophomore Molly Reagan said that for the team to improve, they have now “focused on sprints for speed and individual training more as opposed to group training, and we hope to be ready once ECCs come.”

FIELD HOCKEY

Field Hockey is a sport growing in popularity, and the Waterford team is currently 7-2-2, with some hard games coming up in their schedule, finishing their regular season at home against Old Saybrook.

BOYS’ SOCCER

Marco Bonilla of the boys soccer team was quoted “we’ve had two tough losses early but are hoping to succeed for the rest of the season, succeed in ECCs and then hopefully in states.” Boys’ soccer is looking to make it far this year and are hungry for a championship, and its last regular season game is October 26th against Old Saybrook.

Cross country record was not available at the time of publication.