Fall sports captains: caring, courageous, and consistent

Senior Mia Brennan is action last season at Alumni Field.

Abrielle Cunningham, Reporter

In order to be a sport captain, a player must have good leadership skills, be well organized, have a positive attitude, and be a role model. The fall sports teams have 19 seniors who meet these  qualifications.

When senior fall captains were asked about the best part about being captain, most agree that it is a great privilege to choose what you wear on game days and lead drills.

Girls’ soccer co-captain senior Mia Brennan said, “The best part about being a captain is knowing that you earned that respect from your coaches and teammates.” And of course, this goes for any sport, knowing that your teammates and coaches want you as a captain is a great accomplishment.

Girls’ field hockey co-captain senior Annie Hodge, agreed and added that “being a captain gives you enough control to help unite the team to play and ultimately win.”

Not only is leadership an important skill to have, but so is responsibility. From first hand experience, players understand how much decision making goes on with in a sports team. From pasta dinners, to assigning freshmen duties, being responsible is an ability that all captains should have.

Football co-captain senior Kyle Cardoza believes that captains should not only be responsible for the team, but also be responsible for doing well in school.

“Some responsibilities of being captain are doing good in school, which means staying out of trouble, which also means I need to stay organized,” said Cardoza.

For underclassmen interested in taking on a leadership role in the future, these skills can be learned.

Senior Alaina Moger, co-captain of the volleyball team, said that if you want to be a leader on the field that players should, “always be organized and prepared, and do not do anything last minute.”

Most of the captains agreed that staying positive and encouraging teammates are things that help people become leaders on and off the field.

Co-captain of the cheer team senior Miranda Lentz said , “Always be yourself with your teammates and no matter what. Captain or not, do everything you can to make your team and yourself happy.”

Fellow captain and classmate Natalie Pendleton, added, “[Being] captain doesn’t give you a free pass to be controlling and dictating. Be someone everyone feels comfortable talking to.”