Fall Sports Updates

Cassidy Susi, Editor

Field Hockey

Waterford’s varsity field hockey team is one of the smallest, but possibly one of the most promising, teams in the sport’s history at WHS. With just enough players to fill the JV and Varsity roster, the girls play full games with no substitutions, and still have competed well against towns with entire teams of subs, including an 8-0 win over NFA. Coach Traci Susi, joined by six third-year varsity starters and two all-state athletes, is destined for success in the remainder of her 20th season.

Football

The football team at Waterford High School has a new and improved reputation in the ECC as a competitive team. Despite their “defeated” season in the previous year, the 2018 roster has already spiked their winning percentage by 50 percent. With a 2-2 record, Coach John Strecker, accompanied by his six returning seniors, welcomed junior Ryan Bakken as their new quarterback. With six regular season games left, the Lancers look to continue the excellence they have displayed so far.

Soccer

Coach Joe Mendonca and the boys’ soccer team at Waterford High have nine returning varsity starters on their 2018 roster, although the familiar lineup is still young. Fighting through this season after rebuilding the previous year, the Lancers look to beat their .500 record from the 2017 season.

Cross Country

With six out of seven top runners from the 2017 season returning this year, Coach Chris Gamble continues his 12th year of coaching with a qualified team. As they compete in the Division II conference, the Lancers hit the ground running with star seniors Sam Lenes, Derrick Agsalud, and Eric Zane.

Swim

With only two defeated meets, the swim team at Waterford High are stacked with competitors. Coach Brett Arnold, now solely the girls’ swim coach, prepares for a successful season in his 18th year. Coming off of a record of 12-2 in 2017, the Lancers look to at least match the outcome they had in the previous year.

About the Writer
Cassidy Susi, Editor

Cassidy Susi is a senior at Waterford High School and is currently employed at Recovery Restaurant in New London, Connecticut. She has played softball...