AJ Sachatello, 12, Wrestling

Anna Schleck, Sports Editor

When did you start wrestling?

I started wrestling when I was 4.

How do you manage being a student-athlete?

It’s become a part of me, but it takes a lot of planning, organization and dedication.

As a senior, how do you want to be remembered?

I just want to be remembered as a positive influence on the people around me and to have made an impact on at least one person’s life.

You have been injured a few times this year, how have you been able to come back and continue to perform?

I’ve just tried to stay positive, I know that an injury during a sport is a small set-back in the world of set-backs. I also know that actually physically wrestling is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my role on the team, so I just keep my head up, help out my teammates, do my job, and have a great time doing it.

What does being a lancer mean to you and what are you going to miss about representing Lancer Nation?

I love lancer nation, it’s a crazy environment that makes school and being an athlete awesome. I’m going to miss the camaraderie and the sheer pride that comes with being a lancer, but honestly, once you’re a lancer, you’re a lancer for life. 

Are you planning on playing any sports in college?

I am planning on starting a wrestling team at High Point University

You are the only captain this year, how special is that and what have you enjoyed most about being captain?

I loved being a captain of the wrestling team, my teammates are like family to me, and it has been pleasure watching everyone grow not only as a wrestler but as a person and for the team to grow as a family. 

What do you plan to study in college?

Mathematics and Criminal Justice

How has sports impacted your life?

Sports have really made me a lot of who I am today, I have always been an energetic child so sports have just kept me active, out of trouble, and taught me skills like leadership, cooperation, and hard work that I would have never been able to learn on my own.