Spring Sports Preview 2023

Emerson Lane, Sports Editor

G-Lax: Mrs.Dulin

• What is one hope for this season?- This season we are hoping to challenge for an ECC championship and make a deep run in the state tournament. We have a solid core of experienced Seniors with some great leadership from our three Captains; Marin Mahoney, Ella Bousquet, and Amelia Allen. 
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- We graduated most of our starting defenders so we are looking for our returning players to step up to create a solid defensive unit. Seniors Tess Briggs and Lauren Santos look to anchor that group, with Sam Silva, and Kayla Kelly stepping into a larger varsity role this year. We have lots of great options on attack this year so we expect to be dynamic offensively and in midfield. Maddie Laforte, Payton Smith,  Sarah McDougall, Quinn Brigham, and Katie Jamroga are just a few of the returning Varsity starters that we are expecting big things from. 
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- We always look to compete within our ECC division, so Stonington will be our toughest rival this spring. 
  • Something you love about this team?- I am enjoying the team chemistry this year as it is really positive, so I think this will be a very successful 2023 campaign.

B-Lax: Mr.Deon

• What is one hope for this season?- Similar to last year, become ECC Champs and reach far in States
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- We don’t know who the stars are until the season starts, however we have a bunch of returning players. That being said, there are still positions to fill and we will know who the star players are when the season begins.
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- Common answer is East Lyme, but whoever they are playing next is the real answer
  • Something you love about this team?- They are good teammates to each other, family, and support each other in getting better.

G Tennis: Mr.Steady

• What is one hope for this season?- One of my hopes for this season is for everyone on the team to have a good time while still competing their hardest.
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- We’ve got a team full of stars and we’re especially excited to welcome back seniors Kate Knight, Ella Briggs, and Kyra Tuckwood.
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- Our biggest rivalry is with Stonington.
  • Something you love about this team?- I love how much the team works hard and supports each other. Whether it’s after a win or loss, they’re there to encourage each other and help everyone get ready for the next match.

B Tennis: Response came from Peter Colonis

• What is one hope for this season?- My biggest hope for the season is to get the freshman integrated into the team and build up the program for the future. ​We have a lot of freshmen and new players, so we’re hoping to help them improve.
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- ​​The upcoming stars are Chris Matsas, a freshman, and Noah Westkott, a junior. It’s Chris’s first year on the team and he’s playing first singles. Noah Westcott just moved up to fourth singles from a doubles position, and took on a captain role for the team.
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?-  We don’t really have a typical rival.
  • Something you love about this team?- Something I love about the team is that everyone is invested in becoming a better player. Even though some people are at different skill levels than others, everyone’s working hard to improve their game and uplift the team

Softball: Mr.Walker

• No comment currently

Baseball: Mr.Peluso

• What is one hope for this season?- To qualify for the ECC and State Post-Season Tournaments.
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- We are a team not made up of one or two stars, but rather a team made up of a good group of ball players who will all need to contribute within their team role for us to be successful.  We will rely on senior leadership, especially from Anthony Jessuck and Brian Ingraham to help create an environment for the young players to thrive in.
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- Most people would say East Lyme, however, every team we play will see us as a rival. Teams all look to beat Waterford based on the many years of success we have had at the conference and state levels.
  • Something you love about this team?- Something I love about this team- I think this is unknown, we have many players who have never competed at the varsity level and I am interested to see them grow their competitiveness as the season progresses.  I am also looking forward to seeing which players embrace the opportunities they will have and the roles they will create for themselves throughout the upcoming season.

Golf: Mrs.Pesko

• What is one hope for this season?- My hope for the team is to work and focus on short-game skills, as chipping and putting are weaknesses for some of my players. Furthermore, I will be requiring my students to review the rules of golf via online tutorials and quizzes through the United States Golf Association. In addition to improving their skills and creating/achieving their own personal goals, I will also be emphasizing the importance of integrity and the rules of golf.  Golf requires my players to police other players to minimize cheating, and I hope to focus on it more this season.
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?-  The team does not have one or two people who are the ‘stars’. Every student plays an important part in the team and contributes to it in many exceptional ways. Right now, the team has several strong players as the #1 and #2 spots for both boys’ and girls; it’s going to come down to finding a few players to fill the 3rd-5th spots consistently. A significant portion of my season goals include helping the younger, less experienced players learn the game fundamentals as well as supporting the veteran students who have experience playing golf improve their skills.
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- East Lyme is always a good rival.
  • Something you love about this team?- We currently have 12 players (7 boys and 5 girls) which helps the small team feel close to one another, and gives the team a laid back environment. This is something that I love about our team.

G Track: Mrs.Shea

• What is one hope for this season?- The girls come together with each other and push each other to have the best season yet with everyone improving. 
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- Rising stars are: Isabella Kimball – sprinter, Sarah Conti – sprinter, Avery Maiese – distance, Liz Price – javelin, Elle DiBuono – long jump, Lexi Collins – sprinter, Colleen Corman – hurdler, Julia Cameron – hurdler
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- Our greatest Rivalry is East Lyme, who always has a successful track program. 
  • Something you love about this team?- I love the girls and how much fun we can have while they all still work hard to improve themselves as individuals and as a team.

B Track: Mr.Criscuolo

• What is one hope for this season?- I would like to place top 4 in the ECC’s this year
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- Evan Piotrowski, Elliot Childs, Jay Zimmerman
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- We always want to beat East Lyme, but I would like to beat New London this year again
  • Something you love about this team?- They support each other and always have eachothers back. They encourage each other to improve.

Unified Track: Mr.Arnold

• What is one hope for this season?- Everyone works hard, participates and has fun doing so.
  • Who are the upcoming stars on the team?- Morgan Santangelo, Dareen Guppy, Rimal Abbas, Onyx Myers, Alivia Johnson, Sam Salenga, Diego Graciano 
  • Who is your greatest rivalry?- We don’t have any big rival, but we hope to grow our Unified program to a larger group.
  • Something you love about this team?- This group of athletes is all heart.  They work hard, practice good sportsmanship and always share a smile!!