It’s Military Family Appreciation Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s Military Family Appreciation Month

Mrs. Baumgartner with her husband Scott, and their children, Caleb and Cody.

Katie Welch, Reporter

There are several holidays/observances a year that are dedicated to members that have/ are currently serving in the military. However, we celebrate and enjoy the freedoms that service members have allowed us to experience in America every day of the year. People should express their gratitude to military service members, no matter what day it is.

Additionally, it is important to recognize and appreciate the families behind them that support our troops and make it possible for them to fight for and defend our freedom. The month of November, in fact, is Military Family Appreciation Month. This makes it important now, more than ever, to show the military families of our community recognition and appreciation, and to learn more about what it is like to be in a military family.

Mrs. Baumgartner, teaching assistant principal and health teacher, has a husband in the United States Coast Guard and a father that was in the United States Army. When asked about her proudest moment of being a part of a military family, Mrs. Baumgartner explained, “The moment I realized that my husband was not only a great father, but he was respected and admired at his job. His superior invited me to a ceremony when he was awarded the Captain Quentin R. Walsh Award for Exceptional Service.”

Mrs. Baumgartner expressed that she feels lucky that her husband has never been sent overseas or to war, but the hardest part of being in a military family for her was, “last school year when he was gone for eight months at an intensive weather school in Biloxi, MS. It was hard to be a single mom of two young boys, but I got the greatest support from the WHS community.”

Sophomore Nevaeh McKinney has a brother who is in the United States Navy. She described that her proudest moment, being in a military family, was watching her brother swear in and seeing how happy he was. Similar to countless military families, McKinney believes that the hardest part of being in a military family is going months without your loved one.

When asked what impacts having a family member in the military has on your family and daily life, McKinney said, “It can impact you in a positive and negative way. Knowing that your family member is serving your country leaves never ending proudness. But it is hard always worrying if your family member is safe and not knowing the next time you’ll see them.”

Ron and Stephen Welch

Ron and Stephen Welch

Freshman Ethan Welch has a dad and a brother in the United States Army National Guard. When asked about his proudest moment of being in a military family, Welch answered, “I am proud knowing that my dad and brother are risking their lives for our country which I, and everybody else, should really appreciate.”

He added, “The two proudest moments I’ve had was when my dad and brother came home from their deployments, and when my dad got promoted to a General because all of the hard work he has put in payed off.”

Welch also  described the hardest part of being in a military family is if/when they get deployed because their absence can be difficult emotionally in daily life. He explained his own personal experience, saying that not seeing both family members for a year at once and his brother again for another year long deployment was extremely hard.

Without our service members, the U.S. would undoubtedly not be the same country that it is today. Furthermore, without their amazing family members, military members would not have the same love and support that being in the service requires. Remember that every day is a good day to appreciate and thank the people who fight for our country!