Avenue Q School Edition comes to WHS

Jason Maryeski, Reporter

WATERFORDrama’s spring musical production Avenue Q School Edition has been dubbed the “PG-13 Sesame Street” by the director as it follows several puppets as they move into a new neighborhood, learning about jobs, love, purpose and other adult life lessons.

The story follows Princeton, a kid straight out of college, who is learning that the hard part is not close to being over. He talks to his neighbors about their struggles and learns about the adult world.

Senior Samuel Kasem-Beg, who plays Princeton, said the most important life lesson he learned is “Don’t stress. Relax.”

In essence, the play boils down to learning how to cope with adult life. No matter what, there are going to be problems that everyone faces, but the difference is how the problem is dealt with. Princeton is high-strung and clingy and tries to learn to relax and let life flow. He often makes hasty decisions that he has to go back on.

Another lesson of note that senior Michael Macesker, who plays Trekkie Monster, said was “When you help others, you can help yourself.”

Helping others puts everyone in a better mood and gives them a positive attitude. Princeton tries to raise money for Kate Monster, played by Nina Pezzello, and her school. He learns that a little help goes a long way in someone’s life.

Now the Sesame Street portion of the play comes from the puppets. Unlike Sesame Street, the puppeteers can be seen, which made the job of puppeteering all the more difficult for the inexperienced actors.

Senior Andre Mastrandrea, who plays a Bad Idea Bear, said the process was “difficult. Each aspect of puppeteering isn’t hard on its own. It’s combining the breathing with the stepping on top of the lines and blocking. That makes it a lot to remember and juggle.”

Junior Nina Pezzello added that “the process of learning how to control a puppet was one of the most difficult tasks I have ever done in theater.”

The actors have also learned something far greater than puppeteering. This show applies to everyday life. Most of the actors have already changed something about themselves because of this show.

Senior Timothy McCabe, who plays Rod a neighbor of Princeton, said that “the lessons in this show have helped me with the end of high school stress of testing, grades, and rehearsals.”

The emotional rollercoaster that is Avenue Q will be showing May 10-12 at the Waterford High School auditorium. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the show starts at 7:00 p.m for all three performances. Advance ticket prices are $7 for students and $12 for adults and are being sold in the main office and main office lobby. Tickets will also be sold at the door on show nights for $12 for students and $15 for adults.

This production is the last WATERFORDrama performance of the school year.