Were 2018 Grads Prepared?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Were 2018 Grads Prepared?

Class of 2018

Class of 2018

Class of 2018

Class of 2018

Milan Patel, Writer

One of the central purposes of high school is to prepare students for their pursuits after their secondary education. For many, this is going to a technical school, a community college, or university. Of 189 graduates of the class of 2018, 68% are pursuing education at a four year institution. Here is how Waterford High’s class of 2018 is faring a quarter through their first year of postsecondary education:

Destiny Hsieh is currently a student at the University of California, Berkeley, and she feels that in college, one has to “get up and find resources for yourself because people aren’t as caring about how well you’re doing.” She also elaborates on how because high school is mandatory, and holds a student’s hand more, students are not prepared for college. Students are more independent in college and need to be self sufficient.

Aiyana Cyr suggests that Waterford High School has prepared her well for the fast moving classes she is taking, especially because “the ECE courses really taught information that you’ll learn in college. Like, chemistry here moves so much slower than we went in ECE and I’d say I learned more with Mrs. Pesko than here.” Aiyana is currently a student at the University of Rochester in New York and is the recipient of a grant to conduct cancer research.

Jackson Parelli is currently majoring in engineering at the University of Maine, where he feels that Waterford has not wholistically prepared him. Jackson noted that, “English 101 is a lot tougher than high school English” because the high school course “ did not do a great job developing study habits in students.” Jackson also feels that he was not well prepared for “the underlying mechanics of engineering,” however, he also stated, “the classes I took in high school were my choice and I am not prepared because I did not push myself.”

Finally, Kaitlyn Bowyer has some valuable input for the high school on what it can do better. Kaitlyn attends Eastern Connecticut State University and while Waterford has given her “some tools to be ready and successful,” she suggests that students need to be taught more about “real life situations… so you can be prepared and ready to deal with them when they happen to you.” This can mean making classes like personal finance or CPR more mainstream at Waterford High School.

About the Writer
Milan Patel, Writer

Milan Patel is a senior at Waterford High School and has been a vegetarian all his life (NOT VEGAN). He was born in Gujarat, India and moved to the U.S....