Art Students Contribute To Speedbowl Back To School Bash

Ray Dondero, Reporter

Earlier this month, a group of art students gathered at the Waterford Speedbowl with spray paint cans in hand to paint a school bus that would be demolished.

In a half hour, the students, from varying grades, completely transformed the bus. The exterior had gone from plain yellow to a combination of blue, white, and red WHS-inspired designs

The bus was part of the Speedbowl’s first “Back to School Bash”. It consisted of four buses representing different schools from Eastern Connecticut. Each school got their own bus to cover with designs in their school colors and show their school pride. Students and spectators roared as the buses battled it out in the arena until they were all wrecked beyond repair.  

After being approached by the Speedbowl, art teachers Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Concascia, and Mrs. Provo-Parker, welcomed all of their art students to join the project. The students that decided to be a part of the process met at the Speedbowl after school and immediately got to work. The result was incredible. The front of the bus was adorned with threatening facial features and the sides were covered with spirited sayings like “Bleed Blue” and “Lancer Pride”.

Mrs. Brown said, “I want to be able to do more art projects outside of the classroom. It’s good for the school, the students, and the community. These hands-on projects can show students that there’s many more aspects of art than simply pen or paint.”

“This was a great way for the art department to show [its] school spirit” Mrs. Concascia added.