Nanowrimo is Coming Up, Past Participants Reminisce and Lend Advice

Daniel Estrin, Reporter

Since 1998, Nanowrimo has been giving aspiring authors a chance to shine. This program provides an environment where authors can share their ideas and cultivate a full novel of 50,000 words in just thirty days (evening out to 1,667 words per day).

To “win” Nanowrimo, a novel must be 50,000 words (your own goal for the young writers program) and be submitted to the site. There is no limit to how many winners there can be. Signing up at nanowrimo.org is free for anyone over the age of 13, and is accessible to all people regardless of ethnicity or language.

Two years ago in 2016, sophomore, Milan Patel was eager for the opportunity to create his own novel. That chance came to him in the form of Nanowrimo, and he took this opportunity to forward his writing.

In thirty days, Patel typed  50,018 words, all while juggling his high level classes. Doing homework as well as attempting to type 1,667 words a day hit him hard, causing him to lose hours of sleep.

“Homework still came first, writing was second,” he said.

However, despite his overwhelming workload, Patel managed to write his book. With 50,018 words, the Renaissance of Arjun is the first in a hopeful series by Patel.

Aspiring authors be warned though, the load of 50,000 words is no easy task, as Patel will tell you: “Writing the words isn’t the problem, it’s managing your ideas.” The ever changing ideas and itch to go back and revise can plague an author to the point that they spend all their time creating their perfect pro-log.

Nanowrimo offers a solution to struggling authors. Patel says that the 30 day time limit puts pressure on you to write and not revise until you’re done.

Lindsay Marsh, a New London resident and participate in Nanowrimo also is able to give some insight for all the adults wishing to participate in the 30 day challenge.

As a believer of granting yourself “permission,” Marsh saw Nanowrimo as an excellent opportunity to give herself some time to write a story. In the past few years, Marsh has created multiple stories. Her first novel, titled Great Falls, wasn’t able to be completed during the November time frame, but has since been finished alongside other stories, including a 3,300 word novella she wishes to publish and her next upcoming work, Holding My Heart.

However, Marsh doesn’t believe that Nanowrimo is easy. The word count goal was difficult for her to reach, and says that “You really should get in about 1000 words per day and some days the words just won’t come.” With this in mind, she advises that it’s, “better to write at least something every day so that you don’t have to make up too much towards the end.”

She has never been able to reach the 50,000 word goal set for the month, but says, “I’m more focused on the daily practice than on the actual word count.  Marsh believes that for those struggling, its best to set an achievable goal, like 7,000 words a week or 1,667 words a day.

Any Waterford High School students who want to participate should see Mr. Cadorette or Milan for information and support on Nanowrimo.