Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Marializ Diaz is a senior at Waterford High School. She has lived in Waterford, Groton, and New London. She loves anything that...

Elizabeth Saucier has lived in Waterford her whole life and is currently a senior at WHS. Elizabeth loves writing, reading, and...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Olivia Marelli: Lancer Dancer

As a local dancer and performer, as well as a loyal member to the Lancer Nation, Olivia Marelli is the epitome of a true Lancer and has a contagious enthusiasm for her Waterford community. 

While she is not currently a member of any WHS sports teams, Olivia’s talents lie elsewhere. She spends her nights and weekends at Broadway Kids and Company School, a dance and theater company located in Niantic. She is one of five members of the current senior elite company for the upcoming competition season. Olivia says, “my favorite style of dance would probably be jazz. I also love contemporary dance.” Olivia is also a talented tumbler, with skills including aerials, walkovers, and handsprings. 

Olivia is both a national and world champion. Alongside her teammates, the Broadway Kids’ competitive dancers took home a national title at Believe Talent National Dance Competition, and two weeks later, they won first place at the World Dance Championships. Olivia says her experience winning an acclaimed award can best be described as “an out-of-body experience. The best part was definitely winning with my best friends and knowing that all of our hard work from the season had paid off.”

You can catch Olivia next at the Garde Arts Center on January 5th and 6th, where she will be in BKC’s production of Matilda: the Musical. Olivia portrays the principal role of Mrs. Wormwood, Matilda’s mother. 

Olivia is no stranger to the stage, and received positive reviews from her performance as Kevin G in Mean Girls this past May. “Olivia’s natural humor and inclination to make people laugh is what made her shine as Kevin G, and I’m sure the next show will be no different,” says Ava Burrows, WHS and BKC alumni. Olivia finds joy in making people laugh and finding light in tough situations.

Olivia’s favorite time of the WHS school session is “definitely spirit week. It is so fun dressing up with my friends, taking pictures, and showing how much I love my school.” Olivia, who is also a vocal member of the Student Council, got mic’d up to represent her class as an announcer at Pep Rally and was crowned as one half of the Junior Spirit Squad, alongside Dennis Du. “I love this time of year because my schedule is jam-packed with dance and school, and I really enjoy being busy,” Olivia added. Olivia runs the Class of 2025 instagram and encourages her classmates to follow @waterfordhs.2025 for updates on all things regarding the Junior class. 

Olivia is well-liked by WHS staff and kids, regarded as a student symbol of the Lancer Nation. Olivia’s passion for her various interests is palpable and inspires fellow Lancers.