Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Regan Bernardo is a sophomore at Waterford High School in the 2023-2024 school year. She enjoys writing and reading in her free...

Lauren Piotrowski
Lauren Piotrowski
Sports Editor

Lauren Piotrowski is a sophomore at Waterford High School. This is her first year taking journalism. She has lived in Waterford...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Anyone But You: Is It The New Best Rom-Com?

Anyone But You has taken social media by storm. The new rom-com starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell has a plot full of drama, comedy, and the classic enemies-to-lovers storyline. While a wide range of reviews explain the pros and cons of Anyone But You, others say this could be the rom-com of the century, bringing back the popularity of the true enemy to lovers storyline. 

Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell start their journey beginning at a simple “meet-cute” at a coffee shop. After spending some time with each other they both realize they have strong feelings. Unfortunately, because of bad communication and some overheard conversations the two soon turn into enemies. After reuniting at their sisters’ and best friends’ wedding in Australia, they put on the front of a fake couple to bring peace to the wedding festivities.

Beginning with hatred, friendship, feelings, family, and stress. Finding a way back to their favorite spot together, the two meet and finally confess their feelings to one another. 

Ever since top rom-coms like, 10 Things I Hate About You, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Love Actually, and Clueless were released, Sweeney and Powell have fans wondering, “Is this THE movie to bring back the lust of classic rom-coms?” These movie’s have all developed a storyline of true enemies to lovers including many heartfelt make ups, stemming from trust issues from both main characters. Taking two actors who look to be impossible to finally find their true love, but their undeniable hatred for love, the two always find their way back to one another. 

In rom-coms the two main characters typically tend to have a strong level of hatred between each other which results from their own personal development separate from meeting each other. In Anyone But You, the two lead actors create hatred based on a small misunderstanding stemming from Sweeney leaving early and Powell missing the moment she came back. This halts their development as a couple until later in the movie. While other popular movies tend to use the basics of both main characters being standoffish to allow themself to be in a new relationship and open themselves up to love, unexpected love at that.  Both actors will soon realize their own personal morals have to overcome themselves because the feelings they have developed are too strong to ignore anymore. 

So far the reviews from WHS classmates have been nothing but positive, raving about how well this movie was executed by director Will Gluck.

Addi Brothers, sophomore at Waterford High School says, “This is by far one of the best rom-coms I have ever seen. This soundtrack was probably overall the best soundtrack out of all rom-coms.” Anyone But You had a classic throwback to the song “Unwritten,” by Natasha Bedingfield, used as Glenn Powell’s calming song, which was sung over and over again throughout the film. Also including one popular hit of the 2000s, “The Spins,” by Mac Miller. 

Phina Klusek, senior at Waterford High said, “This movie was definitely one of the best rom-coms I have seen in a long time. The actors they picked for this movie fit it perfectly and the addition of comedy really tied the movie together.”

Bringing back the love of rom-coms for many students and adults, Anyone But You stole the show with comedic aspects, drama, love, music, and the constant plot twists viewers never expected. While some people’s hearts stay true to the classics, like 10 Things I Hate About You, this movie is definitely in the running and is bringing back the flame for rom-coms once again.