Students Earn Eastern Region Music Festival Honors

Naty Bush, Reporter

November 23 was an encouraging day of music for hundreds of high school musicians in the Eastern Region of Connecticut. A couple dozen students from Waterford High School spent many hours of practicing in preparation for their auditions for the Eastern Region Music Festival Honor Ensembles.

The Connecticut Music Educators Association, or CMEA, organizes annual auditions for high school students to be part of elite bands, orchestras, and choirs. This year, the auditions took place at Plainfield High School. I auditioned for the jazz band and the symphonic band for jazz piano and percussion, respectively. I was selected to perform for snare drum with the Eastern Region band.

Nicolette Fardon, a senior, was overjoyed when she found out the results of her audition. “It was my first and last year to audition, and I made it!” she said.

Fardon continued stating that she even lost her voice when practicing for the audition.

To all high school musicians, I highly recommend auditioning for the regional festivals. The association is selective in choosing musicians, but regardless of whether you are selected or not, the preparation and audition are wonderful experience by themselves, Either way, you will be motivated to strive harder to be a better musician.

From left to right, bottom to top, in the picture: Kayla Mathiowetz (violin), Alaina Milukas (vocals), Alyssa Mathiowetz (violin), Shashwat Kala (violin), Connor Megan (trumpet), Andrew Impellitteri (bass), Maxine Adamson (vocals), Nathaniel Ross (jazz piano), Naty Bush (percussion), Nicolette Fardon (soprano vocals), and Genevieve Nuttall (viola).