Meet Hillary Clinton

Paige Miller, Reporter

NOTE: This article is part of an on-going series on the upcoming presidential election in November. The series is an effort to give information on the candidates. The articles do not represent the opinion of this newspaper or the school.

Hillary Rodham Clinton is well known today as one of the Democratic candidates for the U.S. Presidential election. Clinton’s main vision for America is to construct an economy that is beneficial to every class level; not only to the wealthy.

Clinton was born in Chicago, Illinois on October 26th, 1947. After attending Maine East High School, she graduated from Wellesley College with a B.A. and departmental honors in political science. Clinton did not stop there; she went on to Yale Law School.

Clinton supported her husband, Bill Clinton, during his presidential campaign in 1992. People expected two for one if Bill won the election because Hillary made it clear that she would be a large part of decision making during her husband’s term.

While still serving as First Lady, Clinton was a candidate for U.S. Senator of New York. She won the election on November 7, 2000 and was sworn in on January 3, 2001. One term was not enough for Clinton; in 2006 she was re-elected for her second term. Not only was being a state senator not enough for her; two years later, she announced that she would be running in the 2008 presidential campaign as a nominee for the democratic party. Although she put much of her time, effort, and millions of her own dollars into her campaign, she lost the democratic candidacy to President Barack Obama. She owed millions after the loss, however she managed to pay it off by 2013.

Obama was a large part in Clinton’s future after the loss in the democratic election. He offered her the position as secretary of state. She resigned from the position of the U.S. senate on January 21st of 2009, the same day that she took the oath and was sworn into the cabinet. Clinton would be the first former First Lady to serve a position in the United States Cabinet. Clinton served her tenure and when she was done, she became a private citizen for the first time in 30 years. Most of this time was devoted to involving herself in different foundations and charities, for example, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Beijing Conference.

Clinton did not remain private for long. She announced her candidacy for the 2016 presidential election as democratic candidate on April 12, 2015. So far in the election, Clinton has won the Iowa Democratic Caucuses, the Nevada Caucuses, and the South Carolina Primary. On March 1, also known as Super Tuesday, she won seven of the eleven contests, giving her a jump on Bernie Sanders. Clinton essentially wants a higher income middle class and affordable education. As of right now, the nomination between Sanders and Clinton is leaning in Clinton’s favor.