Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Saeeda Samed is a senior from Waterford High School. She has lived in several  places, including Ghana, and now resides in Quaker...

Lauren Piotrowski
Lauren Piotrowski
Sports Editor

Lauren Piotrowski is a sophomore at Waterford High School. This is her first year taking journalism. She has lived in Waterford...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ DiazApril 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma WayApril 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Beauty Trends and Products

Sisters Lily and Olivia Marelli posing with matching slick back hairstyles.

From drug store makeup to high end designer brands, what makes some products more popular than others? Is it Alix Earle, the “It girl” of the generation, or social media?

Social media has been taken over with product reviews and “get ready with me” videos. These videos increase the demand of the products being used.

New beauty trends pop up every few weeks. According to senior Luciana Valencia, “I like the blown out hair look” while senior Lea Arnold stated, “I’d say the slick back hairstyle trend is my favorite.” These trends become popular as they float through social media.

When asked what people look for in products, sophomore Lacey Montanari expressed her appreciation for “cruelty free” products. On the other hand, Valencia explained “Just if they can last all day, I guess, if it’s makeup wise, hair wise if it just doesn’t make my hair greasy.” 

Diving deeper into the most used products of 2023, Fashion Magazine lists Drunk Elephant D Bronzi drops, Mielle rosemary oil, and Rare Beauty Soft Pinch Blush to be some of the most popular items according to many high school students.

While some purchase these products from stores such as Sephora or Ulta, many loved products are found in drug stores. The Everygirl website listed L’oreal Telescopic mascara, E.L.F Halo Glow Liquid Filter, and Can’t Stop Won’t Stop contour concealer as the best drug store products on the market this year. 

Hair care has also been on the rise. The most purchased brands were Olaplex, Briogeo, Amikia and Living Proof. These brands have products ranging from dry shampoo, hair masks, anti-frizz serums and many more. 

The natural movement has also been on the rise with many people starting to make their own natural products. The ingredients range from a list of things; honey, oats, eggs and rosemary oil. 

Looking into hair trends of 2023, the most popular popping up being slick back hair, blow outs, and curved bangs. Slick back buns, ponytails or even “hair headbands.” Blow outs using the famous Dyson, Revlon or hair rollers. Curved bangs with different lengths. Not only hair styles, but many different colors are being used. One of the most popular being the cowgirl copper.

The beauty and personal care market revenue amounts to US $579.20 billion and is expected to continue growing. Information from the American Salon explains that 47 percent of the beauty industry’s workforce are minorities, with the many jobs this industry produces there are chances for everyone. All together the beauty industry generates more than $57 billion sales each year. Another fact said 60% of salon business owners are women. This is extremely inspiring for the rising women of our generation and ones coming.

For high schoolers looking for beauty influencers to follow, Luciana Valencia and Lea Arnold both said Alix Earle. Alix Earle attended The University of Miami and began her social media journey by doing “get ready with me videos.” In these videos she would do her makeup while showing the products and also put together her outfits and hair while explaining the process. Alix Earle grew respect from many as she opened up about her plastic surgery and her struggles with acne. People loved the fact that she was very relatable and honest about everything she does. On another note, freshman La’asia is the most influenced by Jeffree Star and his YouTube videos.

Embrace your own style while finding creative influencers that inspire you along the way.