Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:
Zoey Cone
Zoey Cone
Reporter

Zoey Cone is a sophomore at Waterford High School. She has lived in Waterford, CT her whole life. Although this is Zoey's first...

Emma Way
Emma Way
Reporter

Emma Way is currently a senior at Waterford High School. She is a high honors student who enjoys playing volleyball and track...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

One of the Holiest Times of the Year

The time has come for one of the holiest times of the year for Muslims all around the world. 

The month of Ramadan starts 10 to 12 days earlier every year and this year the start of the holiday falls on the evening of Sunday, March 10th and ends Tuesday, April 9th. 

During Ramadan, Muslims fast, which is abstaining from food, water, and any sexual activity from sunrise to sunset. So they fast for approximately 12 hours or more every day for the entire 30-day period. 

Since it is an intense physical and spiritual time, Muslims will also strive to do good and avoid lying, arguing, or being mean-spirited. The point is to become closer to God and become more God-conscious. 

“During this time my prayers strengthen and I feel more connected because it is a month specifically dedicated to strengthening your relationship with God” says Noran Arnaout, a sophomore at Waterford High School. 

Moreover, all males and females who have reached puberty are required to fast. The only time you are exempted from fasting is when you have not yet reached puberty, are sick, traveling, a woman who is nursing, on their menstrual cycle, or pregnant, and older people who are ill. 

During this time, a typical Muslim family will wake up before dawn and do Suhur, which is eating a breakfast-like meal. They would then go on with their day doing whatever affairs they usually do. 

Subsequently, they also do their five daily prayers throughout the day (Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha) which is essential during this time. 

In addition, there is a special Ramadan prayer called Taraweeh, where Muslims will go to the Mosque, pray, and follow the prayer leaders reciting the Quran. The goal is to have the entire Quran recited before the end of the month. 

Then after sunset, they do Iftar, which means breaking the fast. When the fast is broken, they start out with light snacks or appetizers. Then, depending on the culture, they eat a big meal. 

Finally, when the end of the month comes, one of the most significant holidays, Eid Ul-Fitr, is celebrated. On the day of Eid, a special prayer and sermon is held, followed by a huge celebration filled with food and festivities. This is a day where the Muslim community comes together and celebrates the blessed holiday with eating and socializing. 

Senior Hishaam Yousafzai says, “I don’t tend to see a lot of other Muslims so it’s good when we can all come together and see each other”. 

Ramadan Mubarak to all the Muslims this month!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Lancelot
$30
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Help support the student journalists of Waterford High School with your donations. Your contribution will allow us to publish print editions and cover our annual website hosting costs. Along with travel to workshops and additional add ons to The Lancelot.

About the Contributor
Saeeda Samed
Saeeda Samed, Reporter
Saeeda Samed is a senior from Waterford High School. She has lived in several  places, including Ghana, and now resides in Quaker Hill. She lives at home with her mom, dad, and older sister. In her free time she likes to take walks, listen to music, and bake. 
Donate to The Lancelot
$30
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

All The Lancelot Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Matt CadoretteMar 11, 2024 at 7:15 am

This is a great piece of writing. Thank you for sharing this information. Ramadan Mubarak.

Reply