Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:
Lauren Montanari
Lauren Montanari
Advertising Editor

Lauren Montanari is a senior at Waterford High School. This year is Lauren's first time participating in journalism, and she is...

Gracie Bartelli is a senior at Waterford High School. She has lived in Waterford, CT her whole life. This is her first year in...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Sports Etiquette

How to Attend a Lancer Sports Event
A beautiful sunset over the Alumni Field on September 15th. Taken by Lauren Montanari.

ROLL LANCERS!! Welcome back, and I hope you are having a great start to your 2023-24 school year. The most exciting and memorable moments of coming back to school are under the Friday Night Lights. For many freshmen and even some upperclassmen, this year marks the first time partaking in the Waterford student section. In order to have a superior experience at any Waterford sports game, here are some thing you should know:

If you are interested in coming to any game featuring a Lancer sports team, the details like the date, time, and location can be found on the CTSports app. This app is helpful to both players and spectators alike. When downloaded, CTSports can add games and practices to your calendar and is a very helpful resource to keep track of all Lancer sports competitions. 

You can also find up-to-date schedules and scores on The Lancelot, the school’s online newspaper (The Lancelot ).

All tickets to attend Lancer sports events can be purchased on gofan.co. To purchase said tickets, simply search gofan.co and open the first result or press the hyperlink in this article. From there, enter Waterford into the search bar and find the tickets you would like to purchase. If you plan to be an avid spectator, seasonal passes to almost all Lancer sports events can be purchased on gofan.co. These season passes are sport specific, so they range in prices but can save you money. If you are interested in the Lancer Nation Student Sports Pass, which will give you admission to all regular season fall sports games, a link was sent to all students by Mr. Landry and can be purchased for $35.

Part of the fun of a Lancer sporting event is the comradery of the crowd. Although themes are not required, they are an integral part of the student section’s appearance from the field. Each game has its own unique theme ranging from blackout red white, and blue; and neon. These themes can be found on various social media accounts on Instagram that are not affiliated with the school. If you plan on following the theme, have fun going  all out!

As the fall season progresses, the temperature outside will drop drastically when the sunsets. Being ill-prepared for low temperatures can be the difference between a fun and exciting experience or merely a miserable memory. Be sure to check the weather before going out to games and if possible keep extra warm clothes along with you. It is much easier to take clothes off than to sit freezing in the stands. The junior class is currently selling fleece blankets that will both keep you warm and show off your school spirit. The school store also sells Lancer gear that will keep you toasty. During the end of the season, it is much more suitable to wear sweats and a jacket, maybe even more layers underneath.

In addition to tickets, additional cash is also a necessity when coming to a game. Concession stands are available during football games in the fall and occasionally at basketball games in the winter. Games can be long and the stands have many options to choose from if you are thirsty or hungry. Buying from the stands is another way to support our schoo.

Games can get tense when playing rivals or when the other team gets disrespectful, but it’s important to not give in and get frustrated. When asked how the Lancer student section can improve behavior, Officer Norm says, “It had to come down to sportsmanship right? It has to be tasteful, not distasteful, right? So no swearing, stay in the stands, if the other team throws it right back at you, don’t take it personal.” It’s okay to have spirit at games but being respectful and optimistic shows a better reflection of our school, and let’s be honest, yelling at the other school doesn’t hurt their feelings and they couldn’t care less. 

Lastly, being respectful of the stands is a large part of sports game etiquette. There are many staff members whothat work every day to keep our schools clean for us. Simply being conscious of your trash and belongings at the games. If you ever stay until the end of the games, the stands are trashed. If everyone were to take part in being responsible for their trash, then it would make a custodian’s life easier the next day. 

Lancer Nation is an amazing community and we are lucky to have such a supportive school and student body. At the end of the day, high school is only four short years and something you will look back on for the rest of your life. Going outside of your comfort zone and meeting new people or just seeing your friends on a cool friday night is what many of your peers look forward to at the end of the week. Senior, Emilia Podeswa says, “Go to the games, have fun. It brings people together that you don’t have in class.” All of Lancer Nation hopes to see you at the homecoming game this october… Bleed blue Lancers!