Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Samara Holley is a sophomore that attends Waterford High School.  She's enjoyed writing since the 3rd grade and wants to pursue...

Gracie Bartelli is a senior at Waterford High School. She has lived in Waterford, CT her whole life. This is her first year in...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Fall Sports

Fall+Sports
William Lathrop

FIELD HOCKEY– Girls field hockey coached by Elizabeth Force (head coach) and Jackie Botteon (JV coach) is ready for the new upcoming season. The team is led by senior captains Sam Silva, Emma Smathers, Melanie Martin who set the atmosphere their coach desires to bring to the table. Force says “The girls are really good about staying positive by constantly praising each other and supporting one another. Waterford does not have a youth program for field hockey so many of the older girls spend time teaching the younger girls about the basic’s skills and fundamentals of the sport.  Because of this, there is a really good atmosphere of helping each other and being supportive.” This atmosphere doesn’t only happen during practice, they bring the energy during games as well. Coach Force advises WHS students to attend “Any divisional games against Stonington, East Lyme or Fitch.  They are the top field hockey schools in the ECC.” 

VOLLEYBALL– WHS volleyball is coached by Amanda Tourjee (head coach), Vanessa Kobyluck (assistant coach), and Jaclyn Bono (freshman coach.) And is led by senior captains Keceilia Hill and Emerson Lane. WHS volleyball is a promising leg of WHS athletics after winning ECCs in the prior season of 2022. With returning varsity players such as Emerson Lane, Keceilia Hill, Emma Way, and Brielle Kenney to list a few. Not only will they have promising returning varsity players, but also prior JV and freshman players that have advanced to varsity such as Danica Agsalud and Ava Majeski, Jennifer Macca-Barnes. Many players return due to the bonds formed within the team. Coach Tourjee states “My favorite part of coaching the team is the family-like bond. We have built such a strong community with their families and the environment that has been created is incomparable to anything else.”

If you’re looking to feel the energy and electricity of the WHS volleyball team some important games to look out for include: 9/25: Bacon @5:30 PM, 9/29: Fitch @ 5:30 PM, 10/9: Joel Barlow, 5 PM @ Mohegan Sun Arena, 10/11: Griswold, @5:30 PM, 10/16: Ledyard @ 5:30 PM — EUDY NIGHT (In honor of WHS Teacher & Coach Joshua Eudy. 10-year anniversary of his passing on Christmas Day 2013), 10/25: Haley Ray @ 5:30 PM — SENIOR NIGHT (Seniors: Emerson Lane, Kecelia Hill, Emma Way, Zoe Zito)

FOOTBALL- WHS football is coached by Zeth Nolda (head coach), and Tim Lineburgh (assistant coach.) The Lancers are led by senior captains Noah Westkott, Tristan Beltran, and Devon Powers. Also junior captains Jax Higgins, and Brady Sutman. The team is excited for an eventful season with challenging competition, Nolda has some words dedicated to the student body of WHS “I encourage them to go and watch all the games…builds great school unity.” Unity and energy is what Nolda hopes to bring to his players. “I look to establish an intense environment, energetic, and high paced practice that is fun for the players to enjoy while also keeping their attention span and focus.” The chemistry of the players is key to drive them to win and that is why football forms bonds between players, school, and coaches. “I enjoy watching the progress of the team throughout the year along with watching the players mature throughout the season.  It’s great to see them grow into young men by the time they graduate.”

CROSS COUNTRY- The long-distance runners of the WHS cross country are led by head coach Chris Gamble, and assistant coach Jay Criscuolo. The girls’ team is headed by captains Madison LaForte and Avery Maiese. The boys’ team is led by captains Jay Zimmermann and Xavier Del Grosso. The coaches have set expectations for the team to succeed because within cross country, only the top 7 runners score for their teams. Gamble says “The goal is for each athlete to get better each practice by taking the opportunity to push himself/herself. The coaching staff is looking for each runner to give their best effort each practice and not to give up.  The atmosphere we are striving for is one of discipline, enthusiasm, and hard work.” The team strives for success from many runners. A few runners that push expectations include Avery Maiese (returning ECC champion and New England Qualifier), Ava Lee, Elle Dibuono, Madison LaForte, Adeline Steinhaus, Leah Sanders, and Molly Bartlett. And boys, Titus Olson, Jay Zimmermann, Xavier Del Grosso, Michael Turner, Bronson Leone, Mason Huoppi, and JT Sheppard.

SOCCER (BOYS)- WHS Boys soccer team is directed by head coach Joshua Bessette, and JV coach Jeff Emerich. The team is led by senior captains Gio Ortiz, Griffin Neal, and junior Alex Casper. This year’s team is expecting very promising things from a wide range of players. Although the boys have a bright season ahead, it will also be a challenge. Coach Bessette says “the atmosphere is light but focused. Day before a game we need to make sure we’re preparing for our opponent, so it is more intense then.” A hard-working drive has already been seen from the boys from the start of the season. One of the things that is powering this drive is the family-like bond shared by the team. “At the end of the day, I want to make sure that the boys in the program know that Waterford Boys Soccer is about family over everything. We have a group of boys who have bought into that, so watching them train and play together is incredible.” Coach Josh Bessette is hoping for a strong season and suggests Lancer Nation come to see them play. Important games including: 9/30 vs Woodstock, 10/14 vs Fitch (Senior Night), 10/23 vs Ledyard, 10/25 vs Bacon.

SOCCER (GIRLS)– WHS Lady Lancer soccer team is directed by head coach Chris Ghiglia and JV coach Joseph Mooney. The young women of this team are led by senior captains Allison Cioci, Amarys Jimenez, Emilia Podeszwa, and Payton Smith. The girls are expected to have an exciting season with promising upcoming players. Coach Ghiglia says “I know the juniors and seniors are ready to be key players.  I am really excited to see how much the sophomores will be able to contribute.  Adyson Wiseman, Sadie Tiven, Colleen Sturm, and Cara Sollima have already shown they are ready to step up for us.” Both coaches push their players to reach a competitive level for great energy on the field. Ghiglia says he loves to win big games and here are some he suggests the lancer come and see during the season. Sept.22 vs Ledyard, Oct.02 vs East Lyme, Oct.10 vs Morgan, and Oct.14 vs Bacon Academy.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Lancelot
$30
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Help support the student journalists of Waterford High School with your donations. Your contribution will allow us to publish print editions and cover our annual website hosting costs. Along with travel to workshops and additional add ons to The Lancelot.

About the Contributor
Alyson Lewis
Alyson Lewis, Reporter
Alyson Lewis is a senior that attends Waterford High School. She has a major interest in writing and producing entertaining content. She lives in Quaker Hill now, but has moved many times. She lives with her mother, father, older sister, little sister, three dogs, three cats, and two goats. In her free time she enjoys playing soccer, listening to music, playing the guitar, and cooking. 
Donate to The Lancelot
$30
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

All The Lancelot Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

Audra FianoOct 12, 2023 at 11:35 am

Yes Aly you ate this

Reply