Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Marializ Diaz is a senior at Waterford High School. She has lived in Waterford, Groton, and New London. She loves anything that...

Kayla Kelly
Kayla Kelly
Layout Editor

Kayla Kelly is a senior at Waterford High School currently enrolled in the journalism course for her third year. She is a member...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Battle of the Classes

Insight of our color wars day

Just two weeks ago, WHS held its annual Spirit Week. During this highly-anticipated week, there were dress up days and fun events, but the most exciting would be the Class Colors Day–also known as the Powderpuff Game Day. 

Classes were shortened to have time for four outdoor events involving all grades. The stands were packed with students cheering for their class. The main activity was the Seniors v. Juniors Powderpuff Game. The seniors led during the first half by one touch down. During halftime, three different games were held on the sidelines. The first one was musical chairs. In the end, it all came down to sophomore Luke Westkott, and senior Julian Secchiaroli. Julian Secchiaroli took home the win for the seniors. Next, they had a “Battle of the Classes” with a tournament of Tug-of-War. First, the seniors played against the freshman. The seniors were instantly assumed to win against the freshman, but the freshman gave them a run for their money. In an unexpected turn of events, the freshmen beat the senior class. All seniors had to endure light joking for the rest of the day. After that, the sophomores had their tug-of-war match with the juniors. The juniors held out for a while, but eventually, it was the sophomores that took the win against the juniors. The final match was between the underclassmen–Freshman v. Sophomores. The freshman held out for a little while, but it was the sophomores who took the win for the Tug-of-War game.

The final game was the field goal kick. Juniors were leading by one goal until the seniors scored two field goal kicks and took the win for the Field Goal kick. After the field goal kick, the second half of the Powderpuff Game began. The juniors scored a touchdown with just a couple minutes left. If they had made the field goal kick, they would have had a lead against the seniors. However, the seniors ultimately won 7-6, the third consecutive win for the Class of 2024.