Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:
Kayla Kelly
Kayla Kelly
Layout Editor

Kayla Kelly is a senior at Waterford High School currently enrolled in the journalism course for her third year. She is a member...

Saeeda Samed is a senior from Waterford High School. She has lived in several  places, including Ghana, and now resides in Quaker...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Eagles Hockey: The Upcoming Season

As the air gets colder and autumn comes to a close, the transition from the fall sports season into winter is on its way. Each year, Waterford excels during the winter season, sporting triumphs in girls and boys fencing, boys swimming and diving, girls and boys basketball, indoor track and field, and competitive cheerleading. However, each year one team goes unnoticed as they travel around the state competing against private schools and large name teams: boys ice hockey.

Waterford is part of the co-op Eastern Connecticut Eagles hockey team that is made up of players from around the ECC, most notably East Lyme and Stonington. The team plays home games hosted at the Norwich Rose Garden Arena, which usually retains a relatively large East Lyme student section. The energy is high in the rink during home games, Waterford High School senior Kayla Kelly states, “The games are super exciting, hockey is one of my favorite sports to watch and going with your friends can be a great activity during the boring winter months.” The players practice year round, but have their regular season competing between the months of November and March.

The Eagles compete in the Nutmeg conference against Woodstock, Tri-Town, Housatonic Co-op, and Suffield/Granby/Windsor Locks co-op (SGWL). They’ve claimed three Nutmeg championship titles in 2018, 2019, and 2022, and one Division III state championship title in 2018. In 2023, the Eagles made it to the conference championship against Woodstock, losing after putting up a hard fight. The team is administered by head coaches Eric Sager and Chris Bertelli.

Waterford High School alum and former Eagles Captain Josh Bertelli graduated in 2023, leaving behind a successful 4-year legacy as a key player on the defensive lineup. Bertelli reflects on his time with the Eagles as memorable, recalling “the best part about being on the team is the environment.” He says that despite the team being made up of players from different towns, growing up playing together made it a close-knit environment. Bertelli predicts the Eagles will perform well this season as they face competitive teams, and believes their new coaching staff will be effective in pushing the team towards success.

This year, Waterford is sporting yet another Captain on the Eagles, Kaden Casteel. Kaden is a senior at Waterford High School, playing defense for the Eagles and wearing #47 out on the ice. He plays alongside sophomore Lucas Vincenti, Waterford’s other notable player on the team this season. Kaden has been playing hockey for eleven years, rightfully earning his Captaincy senior year entering his fourth season with the team. Kaden doesn’t plan on continuing hockey in college, although he is looking forward to one final season with the Eagles. He hopes to help the team achieve another conference championship this year.

If you are looking for a fun activity this winter, come support our Waterford players as they begin this year’s season with the Eagles.

Game schedule can be found on the CTSports App or on @ecehockey on Instagram.