Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:
Lauren Piotrowski
Lauren Piotrowski
Sports Editor

Lauren Piotrowski is a sophomore at Waterford High School. This is her first year taking journalism. She has lived in Waterford...

Maddie Parent is a senior this year at Waterford High School. She is a member of the varsity field hockey team and is on Class...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ DiazApril 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma WayApril 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Schedule Change

Schedule+Change

The advisory block has changed this year. 10th-12th graders know the old schedule and know that on Thursday’s they used to have an activity period. Since the schedule changed, there is no more activity Thursday.

Clubs that used to meet on Thursdays can no longer meet. With this new schedule change, clubs have to be able to meet after school. This comes with many complications: teachers might not be able to stay after school, athletes have sports, siblings may have to watch younger brothers and sisters, and students have homework. 

Students are now having a difficult time trying to find a space where they can be who they are and not feel they are going to be judged. There were many clubs that were happening during activity Thursday, FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), Uno Club, Book Club and many more. 

Last year students could try different clubs each week if they wanted to. Students could also hang out with friends down at the gym or in the library.

Sophomore Gabby Pagano enjoyed Activity Thursday. She said, “I think students were able to forget about school work and enjoy some fun, even if it was only a couple minutes.” 

Junior Samantha Catala agreed. “Students had time to express themselves and not have to worry about work or deadlines, and instead work with teachers and others who had the same interests as them. 

Some students don’t have the option to stay after every time a meeting is needed after school.” Senior Camryn Thibodeau said, “It’s the one part of the day where we can choose to go see our friends.” 

“Yes, I absolutely do. Now that we have an advisory/homeroom, it’s a confusing schedule, sometimes boring. We can’t have time to go to an advisory, or hangout with friends or literally just eat breakfast. I’m sure that more people would actually enjoy advisory if we had a free day like we did last year.”Camryn Thibodeau 24’. 

The vast majority of students think Activity Thursday was a positive thing. From finding new activities,to having time to take a breather.

Sophomore Lilah Colonis liked that Thursdays were student-driven: “We had a choice what to do, we could see people, and even get help from some teachers instead of having to stay after school.”

Others liked it because it allowed them to connect with teachers. Senior Carlie Robinson said, “I enjoyed Thursday’s activity because depending on my mood I could either decide to go to a new activity that interested me, or have extra time to play Uno with Mr.Ellis.” 

Mr. Samuelson understands the importance of clubs. He said, “We believe that in order to have success and fun in high school it is important to get involved. High school is only as good as you decide to make it, so it’s important to find your passion or interest whether that is join a team, club, and/or extra-curricular activity. We can’t say for certain that students need a club to “feel safe” in school, but it certainly will give them a greater sense of belonging which in turn will make students feel safe.”

He explains, “Advisory was restructured with several key goals in mind. With the most important goal of feeling “connected”. It is critical that all of our students feel they are a part of a group and have at least one adult in the building they know they can count on.”

He said “Clubs and activities have always been part of our high school culture and have been taking place at WHS long before there was an “Activity Thursday”. This won’t change with the restructuring of our Advisory programming. Clubs will continue to run and meet at other times during the school day or after school.” 

“Our athletic director has spoken to all coaches about the change and coaches know that students may arrive late to practice (without penalty) because of their participation in a school club,” said Samuelson

Ms. Bono is the head of the sophomore class council. She said, “We have only had one meeting so far, but there was a great turnout of students. My availability is unfortunately very limited right now due to being a volleyball coach and having practice right after school most days. Were limited in meeting times to my home games, so that gives me enough time to run a short meeting and members to come before they head off to practice themselves. After volleyball ends, I will talk to my council about whether Monday or Tuesdays after school work best for them, because on Wednesdays I have yearbook and NAHS meetings.”

Ms.Brown is the head of the National Art Society. She said, “It has been difficult/impossible for some students to make it. However, to be fair, this was also the case on Activity Thursday, as there were so many clubs that were meeting on Thursdays .I wasn’t thrilled with the change initially because of this concern.  However for the kids who can make it, it has been better as we aren’t rushed and get to see each other for a longer amount of time. We are more productive and social”

Overall, most say that activity Thursday was beneficial for them, they had time to see friends and have time to relax.