Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Regan Bernardo is a sophomore at Waterford High School in the 2023-2024 school year. She enjoys writing and reading in her free...

Ysabella Radecki lived in Griswold until the summer going into her sophomore year, then moved to Waterford. She is now a senior...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ DiazApril 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma WayApril 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Job Advice

Job+Advice

Many high school students are looking for jobs, which may be stressful. Here is some advice from a teacher here at Waterford High School. 

Mr. Ellis is a math teacher and his favorite part of being a teacher is the students. He says it’s a new challenge every day, but they make him smile and laugh. Mr.Ellis also has five daughters, the 24 year old is a full-time teacher. His 22 year old daughter is a full time medical assistant. The 20 and 17 year-olds work at a restaurant part time, and the 11 year old has no job.

There are many jobs around Waterford that students might apply to, but which one should you apply to? Mr.Ellis says, “I think there are several different jobs that are adequate for high school students.” He also says, “The key is making sure the job is something you enjoy to do and can learn from. That will make it a worthwhile job.” Students should get a job that will interest them and make them look forward to going to work.

Being a student who goes to work can be a challenge, Mr.Ellis explains, “I think if a student wants or needs a job they need to understand the requirements of the job and make sure they use their free time and student halls accordingly.” He also added, “I do think a manager can be flexible at times when a high school student needs some leeway, but the student needs to learn to be responsible.”

The most important part of getting a job is the interview. Mr.Ellis suggests,  “The student should learn about the position they are looking to acquire and make sure they have an understanding of the requirements of the job. They should also have questions prepared to ask of the interviewer so that they can make an informed decision about whether to accept the job if offered.” Some other tips Mr.Ellis gives students are “Make sure you do your research because if you are hired for a job you enjoy and make a positive impression on the manager or owner who can be helpful for networking other jobs.”

Carlie Robinon, a senior at Waterford High School, believes that an adequate job for a high school student is “something that has a lot of social interaction and skill learning opportunities, like at a restaurant or a retail job.” She also thinks that managers do not need to be flexible with schedules around homework. “At the end of the day, when you have your job it’s your responsibility to plan and use your time wisely.” She also believes that if you give your manager a two week notice about a unit test and follow company policies, you should be allowed a day off.

With all of this advice, students should get a job they enjoy, look into jobs and do their research, make sure they understand the responsibilities of having a job and be prepared for the interview.