Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
More Writers:

Marializ Diaz is a senior at Waterford High School. She has lived in Waterford, Groton, and New London. She loves anything that...

Isabella Dioquino is a sophomore at Waterford High School. She enjoys writing, reading, and music. In her free time, you can often...

Profile: Adriana Caba
Profile: Adriana Caba
Nola Gessner, Writer • April 26, 2024

Adrianna Caba is a student-athlete here at Waterford High School. She has been cheering on the high school cheer team for...

The Lancer Case
The Lancer Case
Marializ Diaz April 26, 2024

Waterford High School, which opened in 1956, has gone through a series of changes over its history. Initially, it only...

How Much Are Teens Spending on Food?
Emma Way April 26, 2024

Many teenagers apply for jobs at 16 years old, some even younger. Having a job gives teens a freedom that they have not yet...

Choosing Your Electives

Electives are a time to take a break from the academic aspect of school, while also doing something students enjoy with friends. 

One of the electives that WHS has to offer is classical mythology. Isabella Dioquino, Sophomore, took this class and said it was her favorite elective. She chose this elective simply because she thought it sounded interesting: “I really enjoyed the content of the class itself, as we learned about multiple different classical myths, and we got to read and write interpretations of these things.” 

She also said that the assignments they did in class were ‘super fun’ and ‘engaging.’ There was a good balance between the content discussed in class and the reading and writing, while still being an overall enjoyable class. “If I had to pick a negative, it’s simply the fact that the class wasn’t longer. I loved it so much.” Dioquino went on to say that she’s not particularly interested in classical mythology, but she stepped out of her comfort zone by participating in this class and ended up having a lot of fun.

WHS also has an automotive engineering elective. This was Senior Aidan Neal’s favorite elective he’s taken in his high school career. He says, “I loved all of it. Mr. Bono is a great guy and really nice and funny and the class environment was amazing.” 

In automotive engineering, students worked on cars all class period and learned about them, which was really enjoyable for Aidan since he loves everything about cars.

One positive thing about this class was that there was no homework, and even the assignments they had in class weren’t much. “I would recommend it to those who enjoy cars, but to someone looking for an easy A, I would say no because it’s just not like that. You’ll fail the class, if you do nothing all class, and there’s no point if you don’t enjoy cars to take the class because then the teacher would just not enjoy teaching you,” Aidan stated. 

A third elective that our school has is Abnormal Psychology, which was Amya McDade’s, Junior, favorite elective. She chose this elective because she wants to major in psychology in college. One thing Amya likes about this class is “the way it’s set up and just learning about the mind.” She thinks that learning about how the mind works and how it connects to how humans act is interesting. She also has an interest in the way different mental issues affect us which is one of the reasons as to why she took this elective. 

She would recommend this class because it is important and just a good class in general, especially if you want to major in psychology or if you’re generally interested in it. 

Engineering is another popular elective at WHS. Davidson Sheppo, freshman, liked this class a lot. He chose engineering because he wants to be an engineer when he is older and thought that it would be an interesting class to take: “I would recommend it because you learn a lot more stuff in it than most electives.”

Another well-liked elective that WHS offers is Spanish. Tionna Julius, Junior, enjoyed this class because it is a great opportunity to meet new people, and she also really loves her Spanish teacher, Ms. Champ. Ms. Champ makes learning fun and makes the class atmosphere 

enjoyable. “The reason why I chose that elective is because I always wanted to study Spanish.” Tionna recommends anyone who is interested in taking Spanish as an elective because it is really fun and having a second language on your belt is very useful for your future and life. 

One music elective that is offered is chorus. This was Sophomore Liliah Colonis’s favorite elective she has taken so far: “I really like how fun the class is. You don’t need to be a great singer or want to do anything with music in your future to have fun and enjoy the class.” She enjoyed the class so much that she was unable to identify anything she disliked about this elective: “The people are great, the teacher is great, and the whole environment of the class is really good.” Another thing Colonis likes about this class is that they got to choose some of the songs that they performed for the concerts. If you’re comfortable with singing and have an interest in music, this class is a great fit for you!

As students choose electives for the 2024-25 school year, they should look at the whole scope of available classes and follow their interests.