Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
2024 Senior Awards Ceremony
2024 Senior Awards Ceremony
Marializ Diaz June 7, 2024

Waterford High School’s 2024 Senior Awards Ceremony was held on Tuesday, June 4th.  The ceremony gave honor to many...

Camille Cadrello meeting her roommate for the first time after talking online.
Finding a Roommate
Saeeda Samed, Author • June 4, 2024

As the school year comes to an end, the 2024 Waterford seniors are getting ready to graduate and move on. In college,...

Michael Ellis: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Saeeda Samed, Author • June 4, 2024

Inside the third floor computer room at Waterford High School resides veteran teacher Michael Ellis. This year marks Mr....

Finding a Roommate

Camille+Cadrello+meeting+her+roommate+for+the+first+time+after+talking+online.+

As the school year comes to an end, the 2024 Waterford seniors are getting ready to graduate and move on.

In college, dorms are a lifestyle that many students have to adapt to, especially your freshman year.

Students have to share a space, a bathroom, and other necessities with multiple people. It can be a challenging thing to navigate for anybody.

In a study done by the Student Health Services of Georgetown University, it said, “One third of college students have problems with roommates and the same number report having relationship difficulties within a year. Roommate and relationship difficulties impact academics in 17% of students”.

Waterford High School alumni Mia Petrini had to adjust to the change like any other college freshmen: “Make sure if you are going into roommate selection and have to fill out a questionnaire, BE HONEST. My roommate during the first semester wasn’t super honest when filling it out and we realized that very soon when living together”. 

Here are a few tips and tricks for individuals who are currently searching for a roommate. 

Firstly, use social media to connect with other accepted students. Apps such as Instagram or Zeemee are great tools students can use to connect with others. Majority of the time, other college students will create an Instagram page for incoming freshmen, that can be used for introductions and to make friendships. 

You can make a post about yourself that includes: who you are, where you’re from, interests, hobbies, and preferences and people will message you directly if they sense a match. You can also browse through other students’ posts and reach out to people who may have the same major as you. 

Senior Sidney Alexandre, who will be attending Southern Connecticut State University says, “Since I’m majoring in Business Administration, using Instagram was really helpful when I was looking for my roommate because when I saw that she was majoring in Business Administration too I reached out to her, and we got along pretty well.”

Additionally, make the effort to spend time with your potential roommate. Organize a time and place you can go out. If you can’t meet up in person, arrange to have a few calls whenever you have the time. The purpose is to get closer and see if your personalities or habits work together or clash. 

When making the effort to get closer with your potential roommate, make sure to ask lots of questions. You want to know as many things as possible about your roommate sooner rather than later so you need to ask questions related to their lifestyle and personality. To be specific, you can ask about their cleanliness, their work schedule, social battery, allergies, or even preferences on their home decor. 

“I think a roommate should have similar habits as yourself, so if you are a “clean room” person you would want to make sure your roommate is also a “clean room” person” says senior Alexa Collins. 

In addition, asking friends or family for contacts is worth a shot! If you have any friends or family that have gone to the college you are attending or know people who are attending the college, there is always a possibility that they can connect you with other people who are also looking for roommates. 

Furthermore, navigating life after high school is a challenge everyone has to take on. College comes with a lot more than just education, it comes with a lot of responsibilities and freedom.