Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
2024 Senior Awards Ceremony
2024 Senior Awards Ceremony
Marializ Diaz June 7, 2024

Waterford High School’s 2024 Senior Awards Ceremony was held on Tuesday, June 4th.  The ceremony gave honor to many...

Camille Cadrello meeting her roommate for the first time after talking online.
Finding a Roommate
Saeeda Samed, Author • June 4, 2024

As the school year comes to an end, the 2024 Waterford seniors are getting ready to graduate and move on. In college,...

Michael Ellis: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Saeeda Samed, Author • June 4, 2024

Inside the third floor computer room at Waterford High School resides veteran teacher Michael Ellis. This year marks Mr....

The Final Check

Wendy Morris

Madison Laforte, a senior at Waterford High School, finishes off the Laforte’s family’s time at WHS. Madison is the youngest out of three siblings of the Laforte family, all who are avid lacrosse fans and players. Coming from a family with such high praise in the athletic world, Madison has made sure to set her own path through her four years at WHS. 

Laforte is committed to play Lacrosse at Messiah University, a Christian University. She has been brought up to always honor her commitment to God and when she found Messiah University she knew it would be the home for her next chapter in life. Throughout middle and high school, Madison has made sure to keep religion a big aspect of her life.

Madison’s parents prioritized attending church every single Sunday, although difficulties come up when having such a young group of kids and waking them up early and getting ready for Sunday morning church. She is very thankful for the  efforts her parents put into making church such a big piece of her life. Laforte says, “Although when I was younger I never really understood church, later in life when I actually developed a relationship with God it helped me”.

Over the past couple of summers Maddie attends lacrosse camp FCA (Fellow Christian Athletes), where she spends weeks with other highly competitive athletes looking to strengthen their connection with God and gain further skills in lacrosse. After attending her first year at FCA camp she learned, “These players emphasized to me that I had to let go of my fears and play more for God, rather than myself”. She took her life lessons learned at FCA to WHS and her recruiting process throughout her junior year. 

After her years of attending a camp where her brothers also worked she grew great interest in the program as a whole. She fought to bring this amazing opportunity to WHS for other students and athletes of all sports to come together with a common interest and take the time out of their day to praise God. She began the challenging process of beginning the first religious club at WHS and one that would also not block the creativity other students may have to begin a club of this sort. 

After a meeting with the school Sophomore year Maddie was denied the club. She spent countless hours with head advisors from FCA to teach her how to become a leader in this particular role, and how she could make this club an opportunity for everyone. Laforte encountered many long debates with higher up admin in Waterford and compromises on behalf of both. After a long battle halfway through Sophomore year Maddie was granted the FCA at Waterford. Not even a couple weeks after her tough battle to bring the club to other students, a fellow classmate came up to Laforte after finding out she was the one to begin FCA, saying,  “You’re homophobic and a bad person”. Madison did not let this stop her club and dream from growing and continued to push away the negative energy and start her new chapter. 

Her endless hours devoted to sharing her love for athletics and religion has paid off when she was in her junior year being recruited by multiple schools all over. While some coaches questioned her choice of college after being multiple D1 and D2 coaches expressed great interest in Laforte, she was certain Messiah was the place for her. 

After her summer at FCA camp one of the counselors came up to Maddie, eagerly wanting her to reach out to her coach just to see if it was something that sparks interest. The coaches at Messiah put a tremendous amount of effort into recruiting Laforte and finally persuaded her enough to visit for her first overnight. Being able to see the family environment and perfect education for her major, Maddie knew this was going to be her future home.

Her last chapter at Waterford High School prior to Messiah is spring of 2024, girls high school lacrosse season. Being elected captain Maddie knew she wanted to take what she learned at FCA and her countless lessons she has received from previous captains she wanted to make this year a new environment. Already her new mindset and leadership has helped the team to one of their best seasons yet current 14-1 and their first win against East Lyme ever as a program. Laforte says, “I am so proud of this team for stepping into their roles and gaining confidence in one another”. After all her hard work and dedication of leadership workshops and taking in valuable lessons from captains, family members, and religious outlets, Laforte has led her team to become a family and allow each and every single player to enjoy the sport of Lacrosse.

Maddie is off to a new chapter in her life following the end of the 2024 summer, where she will take her family’s time and commitment to religion and continue her faith. As well as her dedication to lacrosse training and competition, as she will be competing at the high Division III level. The many memories and inspirations she has made throughout her time at WHS is an amazing way to end the Laforte legacy.