Spring has Sprung

Crocuses blooming

Tara Smith, Junior Editor

Snowdrops

Flowers are the harbingers of springtime and are a sign of warmer weather to come. Many different flowers are beginning to sprout and bloom in the coming spring months. Not only are flowers aesthetically pleasing, but can also be used to attract birds, bees, and butterflies to your garden. There is nothing like the cheerful colors of spring flowers to whisk away the winter season. Snowdrops, a small white drooping bell flower, and crocuses, a member of the iris family, are among the first flowers to bloom.  Here are some of the top 10 spring flowers in no particular order

#10 – Crocus

These flowers have hardy bulbs and oftentimes will begin to sprout if there is still snow on the ground. These flowers begin to bloom in late winter to early spring. 

#9 – Daffodil

The classic springtime flowers are one of the first signs that the season has arrived. The cheery yellow flowers are sure to bring joy to your garden. Ms. Morgan also enjoys seeing “fields filled with daffodil varieties.”  

#8 – Hyacinths

These are beautiful, colorful, and fragrant flowers and their flowers last for weeks. An interesting fact is that there is a toxic substance in the bulbs, foliage, and flowers that repel animals from eating them. 

#7 – Tulips

These flowers are generally pink, red, and orange. Tulips are considered perennial flowers but often fade after the first year meaning they are treated as annuals and are planted every year. Ms. Morgan, an English teacher at WHS and the Garden/Landscaping Club advisor, says that “Soon the tulip bed in the upper parking lot will bloom bright red.” These flowers are Ms. Morgan’s personal favorite springtime flower.

#6 – Rhododendron

Rhododendrons are interesting flowers because they have glossy leaves and bloom in late spring in colors of white, salmon peach, pink, and purple.

#5 – Pansy

Pansies are great spring flowers because you can plant them in early spring as soon as you can dig with a garden trowel. They do fade in summer heat, but can rebound in the colder weather in the fall. 

#4 – Lilac

Lilacs are the perfect spring flower due to their sweet scent and the purple, pink, or white blooms. Lilacs have heart shaped leaves which makes it an old-fashioned favorite. Once a Lilac flower has been established, it can live and thrive for decades. Lilacs need full sun to properly grow. 

#3 – Columbine

Columbine can bloom in shades of pinks and purples or bright corals and reds. These beautiful flowers provide early season nectar for pollinators and grow best in partial shade.

#2 – Lily of the Valley

As one of the most popular choices for wedding flowers, the old fashioned perennial adorned with tiny white bell shaped flowers that have a sweet fragrance in the mid-spring season. They are fast spreading ground coverage so be careful where you plant them. Lily of the Valley grows best in a part to full shade conditions

#1 – Lupine

These are great flowers for pollinators with the tall spikes of white, purple, and pink Lupine. This flower is a perennial that can survive in various climates. Lupine does best in partial shade and sun. This flower grows from 20 to 40 inches tall and would make an aesthetically pleasing vertical addition to your garden.

Some other flowers you may see already bloomed are snowdrops, a small white drooping bell flower, and crocuses, a member of the iris family, are among the first flowers to bloom. 

There is a Garden/Landscaping club at WHS where you can get hands on experiences weeding and planting flowers or trees. A student can earn LTS hours through participation in the Garden/Landscaping club. Ms. Morgan says, “Garden club will be starting soon–either the Friday before April break or the Friday after we come back.” She also details what members of Garden club do, “In the past two years, the club has worked on maintaining the flower beds in the courtyard, outside of the library, and bank outside of rooms 215-217. Members can expect to weed, prune, move flowers, and mulch.” Contact Ms. Morgan at [email protected] or stop by room 214 for more information about the Garden club. We hope to see you there!

Sources:

https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/g28939799/best-spring-flowers/?slide=15https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/gardening/g26871666/best-flowers-to-plant-for-spring/