Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Home of Waterford High School News

The Lancelot

Archives
2024 Senior Awards Ceremony
2024 Senior Awards Ceremony
Marializ DiazJune 7, 2024

Waterford High School’s 2024 Senior Awards Ceremony was held on Tuesday, June 4th.  The ceremony gave honor to many...

Camille Cadrello meeting her roommate for the first time after talking online.
Finding a Roommate
Saeeda Samed, Author • June 4, 2024

As the school year comes to an end, the 2024 Waterford seniors are getting ready to graduate and move on. In college,...

Michael Ellis: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Saeeda Samed, Author • June 4, 2024

Inside the third floor computer room at Waterford High School resides veteran teacher Michael Ellis. This year marks Mr....

Coach Deon

Coach+Deon

Coach Deon has been the lacrosse coach at Waterford High School for a number of years.. 

Deon has been coaching lacrosse for a number of years at both the high school and collegiate level. “Lacrosse has always been a part of my life for so long now. Either as a player or a coach at all levels through college.” He has also been involved in youth lacrosse in Waterford for several years now. 

Not only does he coach at Waterford, but he coaches all year for the travel lacrosse team in Waterford. Over the past several years, he has been a president of the Waterford youth program. 

He also coached for three different colleges. He also worked for the New England Black Wolves as a professional lacrosse team coach until the franchise was sold and moved to Albany, New York. 

For a while, there was not a position open at WHS for the boys lacrosse program. However, once the past coach, Chris Landy, became athletic director and his position opened up, Deon jumped at the opportunity. “I couldn’t pass up the honor to coach in the town I live in and coach the boys I have known for so many years,” he stated. 

He said his favorite part of coaching is simply the fact that he is coaching in the community that he has resided in for the majority of his life. One of his favorite things is coaching boys that he has known since they were young. 

Some of the aspects that Coach Deon expects out of his athletes is hard work and a positive attitude towards not only fellow teammates and coaches, but towards the sport as a whole. 

Students who want to play should prepare for joining his team is by working on ‘good stick skills.’ “If you can pass and catch a righty and lefty we can do more as a team.” Deon said. 

As a coach, Deon is a players’ coach and will always support the athletes on his team. 

Much like coaching, family is a big, important part of his life. If Deon wasn’t coaching, he would be spending his free time with his family, as he has missed so much time with them over the years. 

Before becoming a part of the Waterford High staff, he was an officer from the State of Connecticut Department of Corrections. After being in a very negative and stressful environment for so long, he looked forward to getting out of work to practice on the field with his team coaching. “Leaving work and heading to practice was one of the best parts of my day.” Deon stated. After he retired from the department in 2020, he realized that sitting at home was not as fun as he originally thought it would be. 

Once the opportunity to work at the school as security was posted, he took it without any hesitation. Working here, he says, makes him happy and he loves being here. He looks forward to the morning greetings from the students when they arrive. He frequently gets high fives and fist bumps . One piece of advice that Deon has to offer students, life-wise, is to always put your family first. Life is short and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, so you should always love your family and take care of them and put great importance into them. School-wise, he says to work hard on your goals no matter what. Your future is crucial and education plays a great role in your life, no matter how old you are. 

Deon’s office is in the fieldhouse building next to Mr. Fiorvanti’s room. He can also be found throughout the school making his rounds and patrolling the hallways.