Lancer Radio

Lancer+Radio

Jack Lange, Online Editor

A shining light for those deprived of contact during the quarantine period came in the form of a radio show produced by Waterford High School librarian Matthew Cadorette and Waterford 2020 alumni Connor Elci. Mr. Cadorette had been considering a radio program for years before the opportunity of a nationwide quarantine presented itself. Mr. Cadorette says that “libraries are a place to connect people with ideas and with each other” and believed that he could make a space to continue this virtually. 

Getting the show started wasn’t as simple as bringing guests into a space and having a conversation. First, Mr. Cadorette had to create a pilot of the show to sell the superintendent on. Lucky for all, Mr. Girard was a fan. Then came the hard part, finding guests who were willing to talk on the air. Mr. Cadorette knows how hard public speaking can be, especially in this dire time, and is “eternally grateful to all the guests.” Feedback from listeners revealed that they loved to hear the guests on air, as it brought them closer to their friends and coworkers whom they could no longer see. Guests on the show were able to discuss their lives and even perform live music, such as a ukulele performance by Great Neck Elementary’s music teacher, Celeste Milukas, and her daughter Jenna.

Most radio shows have multiple hosts, and Mr. Cadorette felt that a mix of students and staff would make for an interesting dynamic on the show, so he invited Connor Elci to join him. Over the years, Connor became friendly with Mr. Cadorette because of his time spent in the library, and Mr. Cadorette knew that he would make an interesting addition to the show. Connor worked on about two of the three shows every week, joining Mr. Cadorette to discuss a variety of topics and interview guests. The show mainly consisted of guest interviews and performances interspersed between selections of music from Mr. Cadorette. Connor felt that the show had a positive impact for those connected with the school, because it allowed them an escape from their current world and a connection to their peers. According to Connor “small things like that always help.” As of yet, there are no plans to continue the show due to its demanding time requirements. However, Mr. Cadorette says that if Waterford transitioned back to full distance learning he would consider bringing the show back to the air. Should the show continue, Mr. Cadorette would like to see more guests from outside of the public school system, such as the first selectman or local business owners.

The Lancer Radio is available on the Lancelot website or on YouTube.