Advice to Consider When Choosing a College

Melissa Close, Reporter

For many colleges and universities, both in-state and out-of-state, the deadline to submit your decision is May 1st.  With this deadline looming right on the horizon, seniors are scrambling to finalize their college plans.

Some seniors have already chosen a school and are ready to take the next steps into their futures, and some have decided not to attend college at all, opting to enter the workforce or join the armed forces.  Others are stuck between a number of different options and are struggling to make a definite decision.

There are a number of factors to consider when it comes time to choose a university.

According to guidance counselor Mrs. Dinatali,“One of the most important things to consider when choosing a school is the feeling it gives you.  You need to make sure you’ve researched the reputation of the school: the majors and programs that they have, the location, the proximity to home, activities you would like to be involved in, and anything else you might find important.  It is after you’ve done all of that work that feeling comes into play.”

Doing this background work is imperative.  It is impossible to understand how much you like or dislike a school if you do not know anything about it.  Students should visit, re-visit, and research before they make any serious decisions about their future.

“In the end, we also find that a lot of students make decisions based upon, and this is just reality, how much they have to pay out of the pocket,” added guidance councilor Mrs. Chen.  “And that’s not a bad thing because if you worry about how you’re going to pay off the debt every day, then you also consider whether or not 20 thousand dollars will really make a big difference.  As long as the college you find has everything you want, and we hope that the students do all their research into their schools, you will most likely enjoy being there”

If money is an important factor for your situation, students should consider attending an in-state school.  So far, in-state schools prove to be the most popular among the senior class. Not only are they relatively inexpensive, they are familiar and close to home.

“UCONN, Three Rivers, Eastern, and Southern are all good choices,” said Dinatali.  “The reputations of all our state schools are really strong, so you’d be kind of hard-pressed to find a reason not to attend them.”

If you  are uncertain about what you want to do with your life, going to a nearby university will allow you experiment without wasting a good deal of money.

Dinatali added, “That’s why we’re now starting to see a rise in students going to community college. They’re realizing that they don’t really know what they want to major in.  The first year will be mostly the core requirements anyway, so it would be smart to go to a school that isn’t as expensive as most out-of-state universities.”

Ultimately, the final decision must be made by the student. Every university provides its own unique experience, and it is up to every senior to determine which is the best fit.  While choosing a college or another post-graduation path may seem daunting, it can also be a rewarding moment.