Abe Gollsneider, Boy’s Soccer

Abe Gollsneider (right) goes for the ball.

Anna Schleck, Sports Editor

Abraham Gollsneider is a senior captain of the varsity boy’s soccer team.

Why do you play soccer?

I play soccer because I have played my whole life and it has always been my favorite sport. It keeps me active and I get to be around a great group of kids and always get to develop new friendships. Soccer has always been my passion and I love getting to compete at a high level. 

When did you start playing soccer?

When I was 5 years old. 

Do you only play soccer and if so do you play year round?

I ski and play rec basketball in the winter and do not play soccer year round. 

What does being a student athlete mean to you?

It truly is important to me that I am able to be highly successful both on the field and in the classroom. I believe it is important to not only have the skillset for a sport, but to be able to work hard and keep all grades up in the classroom as well. 

What is it like to be a part of Lancer nation?

It is an unbelievable feeling to be a part of Lancer Nation and the school spirit. I love seeing everybody’s school spirit during spirit week and going to varsity sports games and seeing all my friends either on the field/court/mat from the sidelines or seeing them in the stands with me cheering on our school. Lancer Nation is truly devoted and I absolutely love being a part of it. 

Now that your season has ended, what was your favorite moment from your senior season?

Scoring my first varsity goal during running time in a big game against East Lyme playing in the ALS Cup game.

Do you plan to stay involved with soccer after high school, whether it’s playing or coaching?

At first, I didn’t really want to play soccer at the college level, but after visiting some of my top schools, I came to the conclusion that I could play at some of the levels and that I would really enjoy doing that. I think I would really like to play college soccer now whether it be at the competitive or club level. I do not think I would ever want to coach soccer in the future.