Lets Talk SAT’s

Isabella Kimball, Editor

Studying, test taking, working on projects, presenting, and stressing: all the fun and exciting experiences of junior year. Juniors have countless things taking up their schedules throughout the year. Their first round of AP tests, midterms, finals, sports, and more are all concerns these students are facing. The big test many juniors will have to think about in the months to come is the SAT. 

As well as juniors, seniors have loads to worry about. College applications, whether to submit their standardized scores, additional AP tests,  and other stresses are at the forefront of seniors’ minds. Both juniors and seniors are struggling together through these last two troubling years of high school. One topic of conversation stresses both juniors and seniors during their education: the SAT.  

At WHS, all juniors are required to take the SAT. Yes, required. The school pays for the test and makes all students take it. This is one of the most important tests for college. Some students, after the first time taking the SAT, are not happy with their scores. Because of this, students have the option to retake the test. The College Board offers the SATs seven times a year. However, retaking the test involves money and extra time students may not have. The test provided at WHS might be some juniors’ only shot. 

While some juniors are scrambling to study for SAT’s, some juniors are not stressed about the test taking experience. Junior Payton Smith talks on how she feels about the SAT: “As of right now, I haven’t really thought about it so I’m not nervous at all.” With many colleges becoming test optional, the SAT is not something that is a make-or-break for college applications. It is important to note that many colleges already have had test optional applications as a part of their program for years. In a survey done by Forbes, more than 80% of four year colleges do not require standardized testing. Many schools turned away from requiring standardized tests because of Covid. However, Forbes reports that “many schools recognize that standardized tests do not measure academic merit.” The controversy over the SAT is the fact that it is an aptitude test. While an achievement test, like the ACT, measures what the student has learned in school, the SAT, an aptitude test, measures the students ability to reason and apply what they have learned throughout their education. Many students struggle with applying their knowledge, or even taking tests in general. However, the SAT is still an important test that all students with the opportunity should take advantage of. In the future, the hope is that even with having a test optional program, students still try to excel at the SAT to try and lift up their application and make their abilities stand out more.  

While juniors are having a tough year in school, the class of 2023 is not having an easy time with the college process, especially the decision to send in SAT scores. With freshman year being cut short, sophomore year being all online, and junior year being surrounded by masks and covid protocol, many students feel like all of college snuck up on them. Many seniors, because of such a prominent time online, feel as though their work ethic and test taking skills have diminished greatly. It is obvious why they feel unmotivated or even embarrassed to send in their scores. In order to try and help with studying and getting prepared for the test, WHS offers an SAT prep course. This is a program students must pay for. While many students voiced how studying aided in their high test scores, some seniors felt like outside help did not aid their testing experience. Senior Skylar Neidig took the SAT two times. The first time, she was focused on studying 24/7, trying to get the best score she possibly could. The score she received was great, but not as high as she felt her studying warranted. The second time, she went into the test with no extra studying, just confidence. This time around, her score went up by 100 points. “I just found it funny that the test I scored higher on ended up being the one I didn’t study for.” Who knows? Maybe paying extra for SAT prep isn’t worth it after all. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGu2ikm52D6li7ndwUQrJ4loUS_Zi8JT/viewFor students taking the SAT, PSAT, and NGSS Practice, they should arrive at school at 7:25 and leave when the test is over. For Seniors that are not taking the Seal of Biliteracy, they do not need to attend school. Additionally, if some Juniors or Sophomores are looking to improve their test scores, a quick and free prep option is Khan Academy. Remember, if you are a junior who performs well, there is a possibility of being exempt from Math and English finals. Good luck!